PB Squid

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

PB Squid

Post by Scraglor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Launched at gentlemens hours this morning, chasing a bag of whiting, got onto a 40cm ting in the first 5 mins, sadly that was the first and last of the day. Move after move after move later all I had got was more baitfish, so I decided to have a poke around in the channel.

Turns out the channel is currently home to hundreds of goatfish, which I was constantly bringing up and tossing back, when suddenly a good sized goat fish had a follower, a horse of a squid! I quickly threw in a squid jig (I always try and have one ready to go on a rod in the rocket holders) but it wasnt having a bar of it. after 5 mins of stuffing around with the hooked goat fish and my jig on the other rod it disappeared into the depths.

After the adrenaline died down, and the disappointment set in, I pulled in the goat fish, stuck it on a prong, and sent it back down, and within 10 mins the rod buckled over and started peeling line, squid on! Sadly it turns out I had caught what might have been the same monstrous cuttle I caught the other week. the prong had somehow gotten one of the cuttles tentacles tangled in a knot around the prongs so I had to cut it off to set it free. I popped that onto one of the whiting rods as bait. Luckily I still had the goatfish intact so I tossed it back down, but it was time to go home, so I pulled the other rods in, and when I lifted the goatfish to head in, it was really heavy and started pulsing off. Squid on! I brought him in, and while it was a crazy slow day, at least I had a feed now. Im still yet to break the magical 40cm mark, but this guy was bloody close.

A slow day, but a really nice day on the water, might be time to start targetting the squid.
Attachments
IMG_0184.JPG

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: PB Squid

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:22 pm

bad luck on the ting scraglor but the squid is a cracker. do you not like cuttlefish I think the are tastier than the squid certainly arrow head squid

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:29 pm

Ive never really tried them. Its just the ones ive been catching are enormous and I feel sorry for them for some reason. the hood on them is about 1.5x the size of a sherrin.

To be honest, the one I hooked today squirted me directly in the face with water, so I considered making him dinner. I think I might bring the next one I catch home to try, I would just rather a smaller one to try out first.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Nice squid.

At least it wasn't a face full of ink. I've had a few near misses bringing them alongside the yak. Are there any spots particularly known for cuttlefish or do they just turn up randomly in squiddy areas?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Nice squid mate :)

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:46 pm

If you ever want to drift in PPB i know a spot that attracts boats like you would not freaking believe. I know it's a good spot cos why else would you park your boat in front of the only dude fishing from the rocks?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Cracking squid
4liters wrote:Nice squid.

At least it wasn't a face full of ink. I've had a few near misses bringing them alongside the yak. Are there any spots particularly known for cuttlefish or do they just turn up randomly in squiddy areas?
They seem to be most prevalent in southern ppb, not sure if there is something in particular to look for or do to target them rather than just squid by catch like they have been for me.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:52 pm

lol dougie a boat can access heaps of close in spots landbased anglers can not a little thought would not hurt

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:22 pm

Haha, I got this one in 14mtrs tbh. I dont catch cuttles (or squid really) regularly enough to comment on where to get them, I just have been getting a few monsters lately out deep.

PS: I wish people would give LB fishermen more respect when drifting past their spots in their boats. For some reason people think you need to be able to see the bottom to catch squid.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Nude up wrote:lol dougie a boat can access heaps of close in spots landbased anglers can not a little thought would not hurt
Very true, its just when they drift through LB anglers lines it annoys me. A boat is definitely an advantage though.

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”