Wp session

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Wp session

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:54 pm

Launched at 6:15 from Stoney point heading straight to flinders! Was a rough trek but smoothed out upon arrival, first cast in 7m n bang hooked a nice squid on a red Yama jig. Second cast on again only bigger n pop. Bye bye Yama jig (I have turned my back on the Albright knot) we did a few drifts for 6 squid then headed straight to seal rocks! I was pumped but with no live well we made do with bit baits.. Couldn't sound up any bait. The rocks (seals) stank!! All we accounted for were a few big pike and a lot of wrasse. Moved outside to the 30m mark n still only got bloody wrasse.. We pulled em up n made way to cat bay, no whiting just more wrasse and a couple of squid. Still determined to get a good buckle we made the trek to rhyll in time for slack tide.. With nothing to show for it but 3 small frogs. Off to tankerton.. Wrasse had turned into toadies -.- as we admitted defeat n made way back to the ramp we made a stop on a pinkie mark we hit when the going gets tough.. Took a while to start the bites but soon after we were all hooking into some good sized pinkies 35-50cm and a whopping 42cm trevalley! They were great on the whiting rods! Then my mate pulls up what we thought to b a banjo n sure enough it was a big cuttle on a whiting hook!
Also got a 39cm trev trolling a salmon lure haha

Not a great day for us but I still enjoyed fishing!

A lot of boats working seal rocks today. A guy at Stoney was cleaning there 5 nice sized kings!

Hopefully I'll have a better report next weekend!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Wp session

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:04 pm

First time I have heard of a big cuttle on a whiting hook lol
The 42 cm trevally on a whiting set up would have been a lot of fun I bet :)

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Lightningx wrote:First time I have heard of a big cuttle on a whiting hook lol
The 42 cm trevally on a whiting set up would have been a lot of fun I bet :)
Yeah I only got to watch y mate enjoy it but the one on the troll I got and was still a great fight! Definately a PB trev for me.

I have seen a squid hooked on a jig head when we were fishing plastics at port Albert once!

Just when you think you've seen it all ae

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Sounds like a fun day.

You should've rigged up one of the wrasse or pike and taken it for a stroll around the entrance there.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:14 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
Just when you think you've seen it all ae
I nearly had a heart attack when the big clump of weed I'd hauled started walking back towards the water. Octopus on a 5/0 circle, taking a redfin fillet of all things.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:50 am

Speaking of unintended catches, last Friday morning, in cleeland bight, we were waiting for the pea soup thick fog to clear so we could head outside. I thought I would have a quick squid under the deck lights when third cast and boom, I thought I was on the biggest squid of my life. I got it up to the boat I had somehow jagged a 45cm pike in the middle of the back. Didn't he give me curry. Also had an arrow squid come up on a paternoster rig off shore but a gull stole it off the hook about 3 meters from the boat and swallowed it whole.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:44 am

skronkman wrote:Speaking of unintended catches, last Friday morning, in cleeland bight, we were waiting for the pea soup thick fog to clear so we could head outside. I thought I would have a quick squid under the deck lights when third cast and boom, I thought I was on the biggest squid of my life. I got it up to the boat I had somehow jagged a 45cm pike in the middle of the back. Didn't he give me curry. Also had an arrow squid come up on a paternoster rig off shore but a gull stole it off the hook about 3 meters from the boat and swallowed it whole.
Wow lol :o_0:

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:49 am

Nice bruh cuttlefish

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Did you try for any kingies gav?

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:48 am

barra mick wrote:Did you try for any kingies gav?

Bm
We tried but to no avail mick couldn't even sound up any bait

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”