Fishing Charter on Westernport

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
banjo

Fishing Charter on Westernport

Post by banjo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:09 am

Went out on Sunday morning 7th February on a charters out of Hastings marina. Went out hoping to get some decent whiting but not to be. Despite being out for five hours or so and the guys moving around frequently to find the fishy spots all I managed was one small leather jacket. We started out over toward French Island opposite the Stony Point jetty and moved northwards back towards Hastings as the morning progressed. All rods and reels were basically the same and rigs were identical, fairly heavy sinkers with a long paternoster leader. Fresh mussels and squid was the bait used. Plenty of toadies were hauled up with some nice whiting and and flathead with a few other species which hang in the grassy banks. Probably around forty legal fish all up. It was a great morning clear and bright with little wind and it was the first time I had ever been on WP fishing from a boat. One observation was that the people at the rear of the boat were doing better than those in the middle or the front. I guess this could have been due to less reflection of the back or the way the rigs were placing in the tide, or even the berley effect of bits of bait from those fishing the side ending up more toward the rear of the boat. I thought it was good value for money $100 the 6 hours with every thing done for you. The captain and deckie were great, patient and kept us upbeat with some great antics and jokes. Would go again but hope the fish are there in numbers next time.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Fishing Charter on Westernport

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:24 am

banjo wrote:Went out on Sunday morning 7th February on a charters out of Hastings marina. Went out hoping to get some decent whiting but not to be. Despite being out for five hours or so and the guys moving around frequently to find the fishy spots all I managed was one small leather jacket. We started out over toward French Island opposite the Stony Point jetty and moved northwards back towards Hastings as the morning progressed. All rods and reels were basically the same and rigs were identical, fairly heavy sinkers with a long paternoster leader. Fresh mussels and squid was the bait used. Plenty of toadies were hauled up with some nice whiting and and flathead with a few other species which hang in the grassy banks. Probably around forty legal fish all up. It was a great morning clear and bright with little wind and it was the first time I had ever been on WP fishing from a boat. One observation was that the people at the rear of the boat were doing better than those in the middle or the front. I guess this could have been due to less reflection of the back or the way the rigs were placing in the tide, or even the berley effect of bits of bait from those fishing the side ending up more toward the rear of the boat. I thought it was good value for money $100 the 6 hours with every thing done for you. The captain and deckie were great, patient and kept us upbeat with some great antics and jokes. Would go again but hope the fish are there in numbers next time.
$100 for 6 hours fishing is not bad at all. :thumbsup:

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:24 am

Good value if you catch fish
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

davjak
Has liked: 13 times

Post by davjak » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 pm

Great effort. We too went out from WP on Sun for 6hrs.. hired a boat from Yarringa.
We came back with 1 flathead, didn't catch a single thing.. not through lake of trying either :(
Wasn't much of a tide either.. I think low tide was 1.33m and hight 2.1m at about 11:30

WP has been great in the past on charters. We have hauled in over 120 fish in 6hours on multiple occasions.. Well worth the $100

banjo

Post by banjo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:09 pm

That was about forty fish among 21 people. Some caught four or others none. The small tide change, bright and clear day and water plus just about every man woman and their dog and about any thing that floats were out as well, probably put the whiting off their dinner. The charters are so popular you need to book ahead and you take the weather as it comes. Sure was nice on the water though.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:16 pm

banjo wrote:That was about forty fish among 21 people. Some caught four or others none. The small tide change, bright and clear day and water plus just about every man woman and their dog and about any thing that floats were out as well, probably put the whiting off their dinner. The charters are so popular you need to book ahead and you take the weather as it comes. Sure was nice on the water though.
Not many fish considering the number of people that were on board...

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:49 pm

This was much better than what i managed last month, from Western port, 4 fish taken from 13 people in 5hrs, i was lucky to have been a person leaving with a fish, i did enjoy the trip, was wishing my friends would catch any, but they didn't, not enough patience. Its good 21 fish, i think, if u take a boat and get a few hot spots, u will want to try them out, unfortunately charters have to many, which would be good for a 24hr trip, as they can spend more time in the spots that are performing well on the day, as they say, a bird is better than 10 on the tree, which was my only criticism, we should have stayed as long bites were coming along

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Is it just me, or does 21 people seem a lot on one boat? To catch 40 fish and not think it was many tends to make me think there were too many on board.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:45 am

I'd be pretty annoyed to spend that much money and go home fishless
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:48 am

A friend of mine has been on 2 kingfish charters in the last 2 weeks and paid $200 each trip without a single fish...

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”