Gummies this saturday

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Gummies this saturday

Post by 4liters » Mon May 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Thinking of heading out on Saturday to see if I can catch another gummy with vipboy21.
Trouble is the wind looks like it might be pretty ferocious so I'm wondering if anyone with experience at Point Leo can tell us if that is going to be an ok spot in a WNW wind? Would Shoreham be better? Haven't fished off either beach before so local knowledge would be great. A quick look though the search tool tells me that gummies can be caught there at least...

As usual if anyone else wants to join in they're most welcome to.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Gummies this saturday

Post by DougieK » Mon May 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Shoreham is very snaggy and very shallow for quite a distance from shore.

The West end of point leo might be ok but i've only ever spun it.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon May 04, 2015 2:44 pm

point leo will have quite a swell up, can't comment on shoreham but it don't imagine it being very cofortable. might be best to stay home and get some brownie points for another trip
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 04, 2015 7:56 pm

DougieK wrote:Shoreham is very snaggy and very shallow for quite a distance from shore.
Means nothing, that it is shallow. It is a known area for 20+ kg gummies. It's also common for them to feed in the shallows after dark at most WP beaches.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 pm

My preference was to head back to Somers again but with the predicted wind I thought it would be too exposed to the westerly, hence suggesting Shoreham as an alternative. Of course the predictions change so I'll keep checking it and come to a final decision closer to the date.

Brownie points don't matter and I don't mind the shitty weather as long as it doesn't make it unfishable, I'm hoping that the northerlies over the preceding few days will keep the weed to a minimum but I don't know enough about the area to be sure.

From looking at the charts I'm wondering if fishing from the bit of beach indicated and casting out towards that steep drop off might be the productive option:

Or is that just overthinking things a bit?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”