Frankston Landbased - 16/3/14

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Frankston Landbased - 16/3/14

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Scraglor wrote:
So I decided to brave the pier, and maybe catch the tail end of the sambo run before dark so cruised on down. When I got there it wasnt too bad tbh, a few ppl around, mainly just dragging in the small pinkies we know so well lately. To my surprise there was a lot of ink on the pier too, which I found strange as there wasnt much structure about, you learn something new everyday I guess.
I think you will find the ink stains is actually dried blood, from the salmon.

All in all it was an enjoyable afternoon, with what turned out to be great weather. still have a lot to figure out about Frankston, but it looks promising, might have to get myself a Yak for when I dont want to get the boat out. I think I really need to get my casts out to the artificial reefs they have put in, the trouble I have is I cant unload on a heavy sinker rig as the braid slices my finger and I find I tend to wimp out. Any suggestions? Might invest in a casting glove.
The artificial reef off the end of the pier is about 40metres out, so you don't need big casts.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Scraglor wrote:
So I decided to brave the pier, and maybe catch the tail end of the sambo run before dark so cruised on down. When I got there it wasnt too bad tbh, a few ppl around, mainly just dragging in the small pinkies we know so well lately. To my surprise there was a lot of ink on the pier too, which I found strange as there wasnt much structure about, you learn something new everyday I guess.
I think you will find the ink stains is actually dried blood, from the salmon.

All in all it was an enjoyable afternoon, with what turned out to be great weather. still have a lot to figure out about Frankston, but it looks promising, might have to get myself a Yak for when I dont want to get the boat out. I think I really need to get my casts out to the artificial reefs they have put in, the trouble I have is I cant unload on a heavy sinker rig as the braid slices my finger and I find I tend to wimp out. Any suggestions? Might invest in a casting glove.
The artificial reef off the end of the pier is about 40metres out, so you don't need big casts.
I thought you were going to say from all the fights on there haha. Well that makes sense, but it did look like an ink stain, not a blood stain (I have caught quite a few of both) However I could be completely wrong. Turned out there were squid around tho.

Also, thanks for the tip, I can easily cast 40 meters, maybe i need to buzz around there with a sounder one day its quiet.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:40 pm

There is quite a bit of weed and rock about 3/4 of the way down on the left if you have a decent cast as well. Picked up a few fish there, but nothing recently. Fished this place monday night, not even a sign of a fish or squid.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:52 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:Good report mate.
I've had issues with slicing fingers when spinning for salmon on the surf, tried band aids but they didn't last. Another member showed me these and they work a treat.
http://bit.ly/Z8VVZ7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Try holding the line with the pad of the finger instead of the crease/joint of the finger. Also try not holding the line at a 90degree to the reel instead a 45 degree.

garfish001

Post by garfish001 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:17 am

Good report mate, I only fish Frankston pier at night (windy nights only), as I don't like the crowd, even though it can be very crowdy sometimes, and only fish the channels, check google earth, good luck

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:06 am

Misheen wrote:
I've had issues with slicing fingers when spinning for salmon on the surf, tried band aids but they didn't last. Another member showed me these and they work a treat.
Try holding the line with the pad of the finger instead of the crease/joint of the finger. Also try not holding the line at a 90degree to the reel instead a 45 degree.
Another method is to do a couple of wraps of the line around the rod above the reel, and press down on the wrapped line with your finger. The rod takes the bulk of the tension. Just like the distance casters do. Hope it makes sense.

Pretty sure I picked this up watching one of JS270's videos. :thumbsup:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:34 am

I have a roll of leukoplast, in my fishing kit. I tear a strip off wrap it around my finger and when finished, I just pull it off.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:49 am

kaotay wrote:
Misheen wrote:
Another method is to do a couple of wraps of the line around the rod above the reel, and press down on the wrapped line with your finger. The rod takes the bulk of the tension. Just like the distance casters do. Hope it makes sense.

Pretty sure I picked this up watching one of JS270's videos. :thumbsup:
I do hold the line in my pad of the fingers but not sure wether I hold the line at 90 degrees.

Might have to watch one of JS270 videos because it doesn't make sence. Thanks for the info.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks for all the tips guys, and yeah kaotay, I have seen that done in js270s vids, never given it a go though. Might give it a crack

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”