Not a Bad day Off Frankston.

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
AVG_Fisho

Not a Bad day Off Frankston.

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Went out in the boat for a fish mid day today in the hopes of getting a few whiting, never the less, we had no luck on them but got a heap of baby pinkys.

After a while, i Got some nibbles then a good THUD but was just biting, i Grabbed the rod then Bang, Fish on, My 2-4kg sahara Rod was bent over and my drag was screaming, i was fighiting the fish for a minute, and got it near the boat but just as i was about to see any propper colour, bang, spat the hook, It was big to bend the rod like that, I Almost had my drag locked on my 2500 symetre!
The fact I Was Using a small Long shank Probably Didnt help. :)

After that my dad though it was a salmon, And chucked a Gillies baitfish out, And first or second cast, Bang he hooks up to a Pike, not huge apparently, Didn't bend his rod too much although he caught it on a 4-6kg rod.

So I'd have to say what ever i got hooked up to was pretty big.

Heres my Dad's Fish!

Cheers!
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rod Bender

Re: Not a Bad day Off Frankston.

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Pity about the one that got away! Catch up with it the next time around. At least you still got some fish!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Rod Bender wrote:Pity about the one that got away! Catch up with it the next time around. At least you still got some fish!
cheers
Jim
Yeah, I Was Spewing, All we were getting is undersize pinkys then some excitement, The Big "THUD" Loaded the Rod up a fair bit so i sprung up from my seat and grabbed the rod, The Fish the grabed the bait and Took off, Which i was not expecting, Didn't expect it to be as big/ Fight as hard as it did as i was only expecting pinky bites.
Worst part is all i got to see was a dark shine of the fish before it spat the hook. :(
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Great read and nice pike there! I will give you a free tip mate! When you have largish fish hooked on light gear, its generally a good idea to back the drag off a bit when its close to the boat/pier/beach etc cos the length of line playing the fish is shortened(obviously) and because of this shortening there is less give for shock absorbtion. This can lead to pulled/bent hooks, bust offs, or knot failure. Sometimes this isnt possible because sometimes fish will brick you on a pier or reef but I guess thats part of the challenge. You can also go 'softer' on a fish when its in close and that means you dip the rod(while still keeping pressure) when the fish lunges or takes off. An obvious example here would be trevally which have a soft mouth but fight hard and dirty. Once again, cheers for the report! :)
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 pm

shazdoggg wrote:Great read and nice pike there! I will give you a free tip mate! When you have largish fish hooked on light gear, its generally a good idea to back the drag off a bit when its close to the boat/pier/beach etc cos the length of line playing the fish is shortened(obviously) and because of this shortening there is less give for shock absorbtion. This can lead to pulled/bent hooks, bust offs, or knot failure. Sometimes this isnt possible because sometimes fish will brick you on a pier or reef but I guess thats part of the challenge. An obvious example here would be trevally which have a soft mouth but fight hard and dirty. Once again, cheers for the report! :)
Thanks for the tip, wasn't a tackle failure or anything like that, Still had the Whole rig intact and all, slight bit of abrasion on the line.
It wasn't very Close to the boat, was only just getting colour as it spat the hook. i Guess i'd say 10-12ft away.

Cheers.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Seeing a big buckle on the rod is why we love fishing! Thanks for the report.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 pm

AVG_Fisho wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:Great read and nice pike there! I will give you a free tip mate! When you have largish fish hooked on light gear, its generally a good idea to back the drag off a bit when its close to the boat/pier/beach etc cos the length of line playing the fish is shortened(obviously) and because of this shortening there is less give for shock absorbtion. This can lead to pulled/bent hooks, bust offs, or knot failure. Sometimes this isnt possible because sometimes fish will brick you on a pier or reef but I guess thats part of the challenge. An obvious example here would be trevally which have a soft mouth but fight hard and dirty. Once again, cheers for the report! :)
Thanks for the tip, wasn't a tackle failure or anything like that, Still had the Whole rig intact and all, slight bit of abrasion on the line.
It wasn't very Close to the boat, was only just getting colour as it spat the hook. i Guess i'd say 10-12ft away.

Cheers.
IMO when ppl say the fish spat the hook they have either pulled hooks on the fish or they have allowed slack line during the fight(eg salmon/trout/barra doing aerials and fish "throws/spits" the hooks). I have noticed many anglers do the pump and wind technique on smallish fish and dip their rod tip before they do the wind, therefore allowing slack line like during the fight. Im not suggesting you did this, but it might be something for you(and others) to keep in mind in future!

ps. Its also possible for fish to "spit the hook" if they havent been hooked properly initially .eg fishing large sp for large snapper on 1-2kg outfit where drag pressure wont be enough to set the hooks unless if using fine gauge hooks(which are hard to find on larger jig heads for obvious reasons)
Last edited by shazdoggg on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 pm

shazdoggg wrote:
AVG_Fisho wrote:

Cheers.
IMO when ppl say the fish spat the hook they have either pulled hooks on the fish or they have allowed slack line during the fight(eg salmon/trout/barra doing aerials and fish "throws/spits" the hooks). I have noticed many anglers do the pump and wind technique on smallish fish and dip their rod tip before they do the wind, therefore allowing slack line like during the fight. Im not suggesting you did this, but it might be something for you(and others) to keep in mind in future!
Who knows, i was in the thrill of the fight so i could have messed up and not known.

but i think just due to the size of the hook that i didnt even hook it properly.

but now i've learnt a lesson and ill keep your advice in mind next time.

thanks.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:20 pm

I just amended my post to include not hooking properly which is possible but kinda unlikely when you say your 2500 was almost locked up...

I hope you land you next biggun!!! :) :thumbsup:
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:28 pm

Sounds a good day the story of the lost fish will be repeated many times. Don't worry about the size of the hook I was fishing of freemans point near corinella my mate along side in his boat he hooks up 40 mins later I had to go and help him it was a 30kg seven gill he caught it on a number 10 long shank hook. It didnt even look like straightening.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”