mutton birds

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
ango

mutton birds

Post by ango » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi All,

Just got back from another snapper trip on the bay, again out off Carrum. Was supposed to be 15 - 20 knots but more like 20 - 25 IMO, anyhow fishing was very difficult because there seems to be a plague of mutton birds ATM and they hang around the back of the boat and as soon as a line goes in the water they attack the bait, ended up using snapper snatchers with big sinkers to get past them, which only partially solved the issue. Finally after cutting my line for about the sixth time to release another tangled bird I gave up, got 1 x 70 cm snapper in very trying conditions. Was unable to burly as normal as it would be just feeding the birds. Has anyone else had these issues and what do you do?

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: mutton birds

Post by CarlG » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Do a search on here mate, was a thread about it not so long ago...with ideas for repelling the feathery invaders..

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Have the same issue in Mordialloc. Lots of birds waiting for bait, the only way u can get the bait into the water, is by waiting for them to chase someone elses bait and use a bigger sinker so line sinks faster with the bait, end up catching 2 of these birds, at least I didnt have to cut the line this time, I think I had one bite, then bird situation got worse. So left.
Best so far: 47cm aus salmon, 41cm mullet, 40cm king George whiting , 38cm Bream, 35cm flathead, 33 cm pinky, squid 20cm. 2 sting rays caught caught, 1 took a rod as a souvenir. Need to catch snapper... :fish11:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 pm

CarlG wrote:Do a search on here mate, was a thread about it not so long ago...with ideas for repelling the feathery invaders..
Here is the post in question!
SFP Chick wrote:Hi folks,

I noticed a thread about this so thought I would share a little trick I learned from a charter operator.

Mutton birds hate oil on their feathers. So if they are around just squirt some tuna oil in the water. Not too much, only about 500ml.

They will smell it & go straight away. Cam & I saw this ourselves, very effective.

This tip is courtesy of your friendly Specialty Fishing Products chicky.

Amanda :grin::grin::grin:
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks for the info, I guess if birds are too hungry they will still dive for bait, so maybe give some kids bread and let them feed the birds further away, every1 wins as long birds are distracted. But in somecases they might still find ur bait and take it.
Best so far: 47cm aus salmon, 41cm mullet, 40cm king George whiting , 38cm Bream, 35cm flathead, 33 cm pinky, squid 20cm. 2 sting rays caught caught, 1 took a rod as a souvenir. Need to catch snapper... :fish11:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 am

They are exhausted from their long migration. That combined with the lack of bait fish this year they have resorted to stealing Bait. The best idea is to give them something to eat like bread. But then other will come. We had this happen few weeks ago. What I did was throw a whole pilly to each one. The stuffed themselves with it and didn't touch anything else.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”