Seaford pier fishing

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
nlim6

Seaford pier fishing

Post by nlim6 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Hey all,
I'm a beginner here and new to the site. Was thinking of heading to Seaford pier tomorrow arvo. Any tips at all re bait/lures/how youd set up the rig would be much appreciated. Not too hopeful, bottom line just looking to have a go and enjoy ourselves :)

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Seaford pier fishing

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:48 pm

nlim6 wrote:Hey all,
I'm a beginner here and new to the site. Was thinking of heading to Seaford pier tomorrow arvo. Any tips at all re bait/lures/how youd set up the rig would be much appreciated. Not too hopeful, bottom line just looking to have a go and enjoy ourselves :)
Best to get a copy of Landbased Fishing Port Phillip and Corio Bays. (compleat angler dandy has some a while ago)

You can catch gars, possibly salmon, maybe a snapper.

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:55 pm

I might stroll up around 4pm or so .. just for fun too..
Abuthen

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 pm

I haven't been there for a while, but from I understand it can produce in the right conditions and times.

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 pm

Welcome to the forums. It has been years since I've been down that way , but I used to get flounder and whiting off the beach around that way, where Seaford road meets the Nepean hwy, just on the beach opposite that intersection. GL
Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Rain will be mostly over soon ...
Abuthen

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:35 am

I got in about 4-ish, saw some guys at the carpark, though I don't think they were from forum.

Rains were just about over. Got my gear and headed onto the pier.

and O M G ... the wind on the pier literally halted my walk towards the end part of pier - it was so strong, and not gusting, just a constant blow. (don't think naughty thoughts..)

Trudged my way to the end. There were to baitos, and 4 or 5 young guys luring.

One of them landed a small bay trout. So I thought, well, the fish can't feel the wind .. must be some around.

Casted out .. wind took it a long way. Retrieved. Learnt on thing straight away. Wind and surf soooo strong that you don't even need to pop/jig/whatever .. the wind flicks your line for plenty of action, and combined with surf, your lure acting like a naked cat on a hot tin roof surrounded by dogs equiped with cattle prods.

In fact you can almost not retrieve, let the wind and surf do everything. Problem was the lures won't go down, and frequently popped above water. I had to add a sinker just to get it to go low.

Pretty dicey casting at the end of the pier (no railings there) as the wind almost blew me off it (no exaggeration here)

If you leave your light rods on pier, it will blow off ..

Stayed there till the sun set .. all I caught was a picture of the sunset ..
sunset.jpg
sunset.jpg (75.75 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
I went to get some sashimi for dinner to console myself ..
Abuthen

Daisymuffin

Post by Daisymuffin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:19 am

yeah fished there countless of times over the years with not much, although back in the 80's to about 2002? my father would literally catch thousands of flathead, and i mean thousands, from seaford pier just using a handline, definitely over the bag limit on each session with about 30+flatties (and he would go about 3-4 times a week) but back then, regulations weren't held in high regard nor were they forced, so if you find yourself not catching anything, blame my father hahaha

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:36 am

Daisymuffin wrote:yeah fished there countless of times over the years with not much, although back in the 80's to about 2002? my father would literally catch thousands of flathead, and i mean thousands
I hear you there , Early 80's to around 2000 there was almost nothing but flatties in the bay , the occasional salmon , garfish , snapper , whiting etc etc . Now all those fish are in great numbers and flatties aren't that abundant anymore.
I remember 'back in the days on PPB, you could catch flattie after flattie all day every day , even use a bare silver hook and soon as it hit the bottom you would have a flattie on there. PPB has changed a lot the last 10 to 15 years roughly; for the better really imo , more bigger fish about again.

Oh , Abuthen , nice sunset pic.

Cheers, Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

nlim6

Post by nlim6 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:57 am

Hey all, thanks for the tips. Ended up going, only ended up catching one, but still had some fun. Conditions were pretty ridiculous, struggled to stand up straight.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”