beginner fisherman needing help

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
viclovesfish

beginner fisherman needing help

Post by viclovesfish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Hello Gentleman and ladies(if any), I hope you are all extremely well, I am Vic from Berwick and is new in fishing, I just want to ask any landbased fishing spot close to my place aside from warneet and tooradin which can be productive. I am new in Surf fishing as well but I am interested to learn and already bought the equipment needed after further research. Wether surf beach or jetty doesnt matter

Appreciate any advice you can give, thanks in advance

Abuthen

Re: beginner fisherman needing help

Post by Abuthen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Black rock, Mordialloc and Patterson are probably your nearest "west" of your area alternative to Warneet. I'm pretty new at this too but there is so much info in this forum. I'm actually hoping some members can even organise small meetups for beginners, as reading about it and doing it are very different things. (I hear they had a great trip at gunners) What i HAVE found out is that it can be pretty frustrating/disappointing to begin the fisho journey during these few months. More likely than not we can start a doughnut shop with all the doughnuts we keep catching.

I mostly go to the Patto on Friday evenings, though I know I pretty likely won't catch anything. Caught a bream once that was just shy of the legal 28 cm. Mostly its practice of casting. Hopefully by September/October things will pick up and I will be more encouraged.

You're more than welcome to join me there. I mostly use lures, but also cast out a bait, and then lure while keeping an eye out on that rod with bait.
Abuthen

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm

:welcome: mate, I can't really help you but good luck with your fishing adventures, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:53 pm

:welcome2:

yellow15

Post by yellow15 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Welcome bud. Im a newbi aswell and the boys in here seem like a good bunch just keep
a daily check on the forum and usually some1 is fishing during the week or weekend
and im sure they wont mind u tagging along for a lesson in fishing and catching.

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Bout time someone did a proper first post.
Kudos to you.
There is a lake in Berwick that has trout (when stocked) carp, eels and Redfin.
Berwick springs prominade is the place.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Welcome mate..
yeah use cheese, scrubworms, corn...dough on a running sinker rig for carp there or even a bread ball just straight on a hook and cast it out.
if you are chasing bream at patterson river, best i found was peeled prawns on a light running sinker rig with a size 2-4 longshank hook... was good fun but did have to sit around waiting for abit...remember to check your baits every 10-15mins tho as they get picked off rather quickly...
goodluck

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:03 pm

welcome to the forum.
you have come to the right place the guys on here are very friendly and helpful
the wife and i went to gunners for a meet and greet fishing trip and we both had a ball and learnt a bit to boot
good luck with the fishing

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Welcome :)

What are you wanting to catch?

vckooler

Post by vckooler » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Hello to everyone. I'm also new to fishing. Last time i went fishing was in Fiji with a hand line over 10 years ago. Amazing. But I was told by a friend that the inlet of Patterson river could be a good place to go after the recent rain we have had in Melbourne. This will be the first time i go out here in Aus. I'm not sure what I should be targeting but my mate said he managed to catch a Flathead. Haven't gone to the tackle shop yet to buy anything specific but got given a second hand rod and line.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”