Patto - 7th July

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Vella

Patto - 7th July

Post by Vella » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:03 am

Took a chance with the weather on Sunday and headed down once again to my favourite spot at Patto. The fishing calendar had peaks at 11.30 and 5.00ish. Arrived at around 11 to the see the shine shining and barely a car in the carpark.

During the week I was practicing tying twisted dropper paternoster rigs so was keen to try them out. Because they were practice rigs, I had been using 9lb line, which I then used on the end of my 6lb rod. As the line was so thick I had to use bigger hooks, so not being sure if this was going to work or not, I shrugged and thought even failure is a lesson learnt. Within 30mins, I had 2 toady’s!! Throughout the day this was the most active rod (most bites), granted, I could have come up with a rig that only stirred up the toady’s, but I think that if I can tie it on lighter line and use smaller hooks, I might be on to a winner. :thumbsup:

On my new light rod, I managed to get my first salmon. Yay me! :-D

Then the rains came. My two mates retreated to their cars, but I am a tough little cookie and manned my rods while the weather tried it’s best to send us home. :cold: I was rewarded with 2 small mullet and had a steady stream of toady’s. I am seriously thinking of starting ‘Vella’s Landbased Toady Charters’ :crazy:

Small fry, but a brilliant day for me, especially after hardly even getting a bite on Saturday.
Attachments
Untitled10.png
Untitled10.png (476.17 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Untitled11.png
Untitled11.png (469.17 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Patto - 7th July

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 am

Great work Vella sounds like you had fun :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:11 am

I love the cheesy smile u have in ya pics with a fish.

With the rig u tie, I have steered away from twisted dropper due to the fact that u can't use small hooks if using a 10lb and that if u get toads u often loose ya hook, meaning a new rig is needed.
When I fish wpb, I struggled to catch kg whitting on the twisted dropper.
I then did a non twisted and cut one end, so as to have a single strand coming out, caught more ting, and was able to use smaller hooks (number 6 shinner) and have the ability to tie on a new hook when toads and leather jackets bit it off.
U do get a few more tangles but IMO its worth it.

Ill also add that I use a bit of red tube that I strip off some house wiring, apparently ting love it, but for me it also adds more to bite off protection, it's thicker the the tube u buy that's designed for that purpose and way cheaper!!
Last edited by Drifta-X on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:22 am

well done vella :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 am

Vella wrote:......................................................................................
I am seriously thinking of starting ‘Vella’s Landbased Toady Charters’ :crazy:
...........................................................................................................
Your business venture will no doubt be more successful than what I am comtemplating on my current form, 'Bender's Land Based Donut Charters'! Nice report as well.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Vella

Post by Vella » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 am

Lol.... I am just so excited when I catch a fish I can’t help but have a cheesy smile. I think that some of the reason why my friends come fishing with me is not to miss out on the occasion of me exploding with excitement if I happen to catch an awesome fish. :bounce:

I get what you are saying with the twisted droppers, however I will still have an experiment with tying them using the 2lb line. I carry a reel of it and scissors in my handbag and whenever I have a spare moment, I practice my knots and tying rigs. It is definitely an interesting conversation starter.

Heard about the red tubing and beads, also that you should use the tubing to cover the knot and eye of the hook, but the stuff I bought is not stretchy enough to achieve that. Will try and scout out some red electrical wire. Last time I was at Flinders pier there were a heap of grass whiting off the end.

Jim – It’s all about the marketing. What comes to mind when I read 'Bender's Land Based Donut Charters'... is a pub crawl, but with donuts. Yum! :dinner:

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 am

Good catch :)

durasovic

Post by durasovic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 am

Excellent report mate! Keep up the good work! Let us know when you hook that 25kg jew!

Vella

Post by Vella » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Don't worry about that, you'll hear my victory shout from wherever you are in Victoria if I manage to pull in a decent sized Jewie. :fish11:

Speaking of large fish in Patterson river, a couple of weeks ago I saw something interesting, bear with my explanation.... Imagine a shark swimming with it's dorsal fin out of the water, see how the water makes like bow waves? Now take the fin out of the picture. I saw this moving up the river, about 1m from the edge. You could have jumped on top and wrestled it if you got the timing right.... Would that have been an elusive Jewie?

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Could be.
Could even be a small shark of sort.
Chances are jew though.
Ya should have jumped in.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”