Patto 29 & 30 June

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Vella

Patto 29 & 30 June

Post by Vella » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:49 am

Morning All,

Went on Saturday morning to the Yarra behind Warrandyte High School as per nickb123’s suggestion, walked down the track to the river (reminding myself that I really need to reduce the number of sinkers I have in my tacklebox :doh1: ) , hit the water and walked downstream a bit. We set up to fish a quieter pool of water on the opposite side, next to a small burnt out section of bank... Possibly other regulars would know the area I was...

Nothing, not even a bite. :cry: Bread, corn, worms, nothing brought the carp out. We stayed for about 2 hours, generally I would stay longer, as I believe patience will be rewarded, but with not even a bite, I was getting a little frustrated. After trudging back up the hill, again questioning why I really must drag so much stuff around with me (must be a girl thing, snacks, water, extra layer of clothing, book, something to sit on...sigh), we decided to head to Patterson River.

At Patterson my friend was on fire, 2 salmon, 3 mullet and something like 10 toadfish. :notworthy: You know that feeling when someone just has the touch for the day and every time their line goes tight there is a streak of jealousy? Yeah, I was happy for my friend, but when was it going to be my turn!!! At sunset, I’m on. I can feel the head shakes, it’s not a toady. :woohoo: I jump up and start reeling with my friend yelling at me to tighten the drag. I can see the fish in the water, about a metre away, I think it’s a mullet, I do a little dance.... the line went a little slack...... the fish was gone. :doh1:

Lesson learnt kids, leave the victory dancing until the fish is landed. :banana:

We left after the sun set and the bites stopped, my friend with his catch and me with a little fire in my belly from the near miss, I nearly.....almost got a fish. Excitement!

Sunday morning I was supposed to go to the movies, instead I went to BCF and purchased 2-4lb rod and line. Taught myself how to spool line onto a reel, called my friend and told him that we are going to Patterson, he wasn’t given a choice. :lolf: I swallowed my pride and asked him to teach me how he tied his rig.

Within 20mins, I was on!! Headshakes, a bit of a fight. Remembering to tighten the drag, keep the line tight and hold off on the dancing until I had the fish in my hands, I pulled in my first real fish at Patto. :r

It was my day... I know that these numbers aren’t big in the scheme of things, but for me, they were huge. 4 mullet and 7 toad fish. I know that toady’s are trash and a waste of bait, but for a noob like me, it’s still exciting to have something on the end of the line and consistently getting bites. It was such a great day, I had 2 lines out and several times I was getting bites on both. Excitement! :sun:

Sitting at work this morning, wishing that I could be out there fishing.....

PS. Excuse the fat fingers in the pic, was attempting the 'hold the fish forward to make it look bigger' set up.... Apparently that angle increases the size of your fingers too :doh1:
Attachments
Untitled7.png
Untitled7.png (504.88 KiB) Viewed 1128 times

foggybottom

Re: Patto 29 & 30 June

Post by foggybottom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 am

Awesome, sounds like you have a rad time in the end.

I know the feeling of excitement that a toady can bring when its been a slow day, but its always a pain when they break the surface.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:37 am

Great job, I'm having a shocking run at the moment. I know how annoying it can be hahahaha but I guess why it's called fishing, not catching :D
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 am

I hit patto on the fri and it sucked ballz!!
4hrs on the yak tossing peeled prawn on a reisen head and got nada.
Ended up thing yak off to a pontoon in the river and threw out a 1/24 with peeled prawn and got 2 mullet in 30mins.
Least I got something to test the livewell with.

Well done on the fish, yes toady are junk, but when the fishing is slow its better then nothing.
U look just a little happy in your pic.

What combo did u get from bcf?
If it one of the sonic SSS rods and sienna combo, check that the rod is straight.
Mine curves to the left. :(

walk the streams

Post by walk the streams » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:18 am

Congrats, and how cool that another "noob" has the bug

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 am

yes patience is a great thing to have i caught plenty of redfin on lures there and the amount of carp i saw swimming in that river was insane maybe they were hiding that day :down: better luck next time i guess
Cheers Nick

Vella

Post by Vella » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Drifta-X

Oh, I was definitely happy!! Not joking about the victory dance.... My poor embarrassed mate!

We generally use prawns bought from Coles or Safeway, it tends to be less stinky. I heard that up until this weekend it has been difficult to get mullet from Patto, especially around the boat ramps, although there has been small salmon around for the last few weeks. This weekend it has been the clearest/bluest water I’ve seen at the ramps for a long time, maybe that’s drawing the mullet?

As to the combo, I believe it’s a Shimano rod 2lb-4lb, $60 rrp, the sales guys showed me the $130 version, nice and light, but not necessary until I try out the lure fishing. The reel I am not sure of, I think it starts with C.... Cazana? The combo was on sale, all up $80. Poor sales guy wasn’t trying very hard, he could have talked me into purchasing more if he had tried harder.
I think my rod is ok, but I’ll check it when I get home.

Nickb123

I really like the area, so I will be back there again. Just wasn’t our day with the carp. Was I in the right area? Walked down the track, hit the bank and went left. The bank was a bit higher, just before a line of rocks across the river. Flowing water seemed to be on our side, with the pools on the opposite bank.

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm

i parked at the cafe near the park\playground walked around the playeground and i fished from a log not very far down in the middle of the river into the little pool and was catching redfin there then i walked along that big walking track where the river opened up a bit but the water was very clear and there were carp everywhere
Cheers Nick

Vella

Post by Vella » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:25 pm

nickb123 wrote:i parked at the cafe near the park\playground walked around the playeground and i fished from a log not very far down in the middle of the river into the little pool and was catching redfin there then i walked along that big walking track where the river opened up a bit but the water was very clear and there were carp everywhere

Ahhh, that's the reason. I went down Alexander Rd behind the high school. Lol, you must have been wondering why I was complaining about carrying all the gear down to your spot. :)

I would be a little nervous catching carp from the 'touristy' area of Warrandyte, as you can't predict some people's reaction to killing the carp. Have you ever encountered this? Or do you stick mostly to fishing for redfin?

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:30 pm

once you walk down the track a bit further not many people are around and you are fishing down by the river bank behind trees anyway, and yeah i dont fish for carp lol i was fishing for redfin and perch
Cheers Nick

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”