Patterson River 23/06

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Daisymuffin

Re: Patterson River 23/06

Post by Daisymuffin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:54 pm

go up around the boat ramps, in and around there, 4 hours and fish a running sinker with prawns.....8/10 times i was there i got a bream...mind you majority were under sized... use size 2-4 long shank hooks.
I WILLLLLLLLLLLLLL DOOOOO THIS, I WANT TO CATCH A FISH SO BADLY, I CAN ONLY CATCH POKEMON :tease:
Dynamite, to blow the fussy little buggers out of the water...
I'll stick with the salmon methinks...
aaaahhh I get ya now, you were referring to the ACDC song.. my father would be so dissappointed in me.. yeah maybe stick to salmon ;)

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:59 pm

also, when i used sandworms.....i got absolutely mauled by toadies....caught about 5 in 15 minutes so went straight to prawns.

sydney4

Post by sydney4 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:12 pm

dynamite is how they made this river and the lakes , it should have been left as it was wetlands, ,Someone asked a while back where can you swim in the system. Answer might be ask Melbourne water because according to them they do not have to have a certain quality accessment control for humans to use it for this. From them 2013 thanks james.

MK10

Post by MK10 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:51 am

Daisymuffin wrote:NOTHING!!11 Not a single bite. Lost 3 soft plastics and I ended up eating more bread than the fish..

Can anyone tell me how to catch bream at patterson river? been there sooo many times and left with nothing
I had a short session today, fishing under the bridge with glass-like waters and got snagged 3 times losing 3 sp's..
Went to second boat ramp as first was taken by other fishos and NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
How
How
How
I was there last Friday.. While I was fishing for Salmon (I managed 8 fish - approx. 26cm - 28cm) on a lure (ASARI, SHIO Blade) the guys beside me managed to get a couple of bream (approx. 29cm) on prawns at about 1pm.

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:17 am

Super light jig head, 1/16max
I prefer resin head, and bit of peeled prawn.
Fish under the bridge on the main rd (not the hwy)
Always brain em.
I trying not to do that now though as I have my first comp there in October I think it is, and no bait, so going outside my comfort zone that works always
Patto bream are stupid finicky so don't feel bad, try docklands,
More there and less finicky, they not like gippsland bream, much easier they are over there.

Daisymuffin

Post by Daisymuffin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 pm

I can't go to docklands anytime soon due to school but with holidays coming up I think i might pop in
After reading alot of threads related to patterson river am i right to assume that when the water is swift or dirty, i should cast at the mouth where the brown water meets the blue water?
Under the bridge (Not sure on tide, I tried yesterday with a SP but got snagged 3 times from 3 casts losing 3 sp's lol)
Past the 2 boat ramps? I saw this in a Rex Hunt book where he talks about patterson river.
Any other tips?
Also, where are the floodgates and what do they look like?
With the prawn, do you leave the shell on?
Also, are SP's any good at patterson? If so, what areas? I want to avoid snags

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 pm

when i used prawns i had same results with shell on or off... most say its better with the shell off though because the bream suck the prawn out of the shell...
1 small packet of prawns doesnt last very long though, had to change baits every 10-15 mins.
to get to the boat ramps just go down Launching way, and follow that down to the boat ramp car park and the far end near the gravel was the best spot for me, but also on the concrete area in between the boat ramps was good too...just head down there and give it a shot... mind you i was fishing at night in summer/autumn and was staying there from 7pm till 1am some nights, if you use more than 1 rod be sure to have very light drag, my rod nearly flipped over the top of my Rod rest and nose dived into the river but i was quick enough to grab it before the bream took it in...

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Fish-cador wrote:DM, you are not alone. My last spinning trip only resulted in 1 x "barely legal" salmon. Our luck will change....
My last 3 trips absolutely zero
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Daisymuffin

Post by Daisymuffin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Man i love this forum so many nice people willing to help! I bought a berkley flicker shad red tiger today (it was on sale) anyone know if this is any good for bream?

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:08 pm

if you've never caught a bream on lure then i'd suggest try somewhere besides patto, because those bream are fussy. I've still yet to catch one there on a lure, let alone a bite. Light weight and prawns absolutely brains them though.

Gippsland is the best place to go to learn lures on bream. Lakes entrance, lake tyers, and the rivers around there are all good places to try.

If you go to the patto and ask im sure someone will point you towards the flood gates, its pretty easy to find. Just head down to the boat ramps near the river mouth, and head in away from the sea.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”