PPB Banjos and general help needed

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
TheLoneTurtle

Re: PPB Banjos and general help needed

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Hammy Y wrote:Hey guys,
New to the forum here and also pretty new to fishing in Port phillip bay, recently the family got a boat (Im 16) and ive been keen to get out on the bay and try my hand at some nice Snapper/Pinkies and the occasional Flatty.

Ive probably been out around 4-5 times between Feb and May and have been typically anchoring on the articial reefs just off Carrum, though I have moved around to areas like Frankston and such, also have been heading further out to try and find some deeper water because thats where I hear the off-season snapper can be.

Every single time Ive headed out ive returned empty handed :( Ive caught around 5-6 juvenile flatties but nothing worth keeping. However, Ive also been plagued with around 10 Banjo Sharks over the course of all my trips which ive been releasing unharmed, Theyre bloody annoying!

Just wondering if these are a common occurance for you more experienced fishos or if im just having a run of bad luck!

Also looking for any tips relating to catching some nice snapper in PPB seeing as snapper season is fast approaching :D

Cheers,
Ham
Launch out in mornington and you should be good mate!

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 am

Hammy Y wrote:
Blueyed1 wrote:If fishing for Whiting then just use an 8lb leader.....

Joe
Good tips, what mainline do you use for whiting?
Maxima 12lb is what I use

Joe

ponderosa

Post by ponderosa » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am

10-15 lb braid if you are familiar or practiced with it and 8- 15lb mono leader of rod length as suggested by the other blokes.
With all this info you should be well and truly sorted.!!

ponderosa

Post by ponderosa » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:00 am

Saturday looks great off Mornington.
Pity I can't go!

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:27 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:People laugh at banjos. If you cook them right they are beautiful.
Any decent size banjo is worth taken its tail fillets for sure. Looks like flatty and tastes like gummy.
Ive found where i catch banjos port jacksons i dont get gummies. .
How do you go about cooking them?
I just put the 2 fillets of tail on to a piping hot bbq plate and put a little salt and pepper on whilst cooking. nothing special as I don't like over sauced/seasoned fish.
about 4 mins a side on my bbq. Just make sure its on a really hot setting. ive tried to cook them on a lower setting for longer but they taste soft and mushy that way.
piping hot bbq and I reckon you will be pleasantly surprised.
let us know how you go

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:40 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:People laugh at banjos. If you cook them right they are beautiful.
Any decent size banjo is worth taken its tail fillets for sure. Looks like flatty and tastes like gummy.
Ive found where i catch banjos port jacksons i dont get gummies. .
How do you go about cooking them?
I just put the 2 fillets of tail on to a piping hot bbq plate and put a little salt and pepper on whilst cooking. nothing special as I don't like over sauced/seasoned fish.
about 4 mins a side on my bbq. Just make sure its on a really hot setting. ive tried to cook them on a lower setting for longer but they taste soft and mushy that way.
piping hot bbq and I reckon you will be pleasantly surprised.
let us know how you go
Cheers mate - caught enough of them... can't see any good reason not to try one!

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”