Patterson Lakes (launching point)

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: Patterson Lakes (launching point)

Post by eddyt » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:52 pm

Mullet can be trained. Just go there every day and feed them whatever bait you want to use. Apparently that's why they eat bread in the patto, but won't touch it if you're in Gippsland.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:13 am

^ Carp too.

The carp at TNA smash bread, my thinking is that they scavenge whatever the ducks miss when people throw it in.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:08 am

Most fish species are the same - it's an old trick to go to the same piece of water ever night and throw a handful of your chosen bait in the water for a week or two - and then fish the same spot with that bait.
Or hanging a piece of meat or rabbit over the water until it gets full of maggots and then fish that spot with them.
Works well if you are patient and on one else cottons on to what you are doing ;)

arabshark

Post by arabshark » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I've only ever caught 2 mullet before in the little pond at Tooradin. There I caught them on a big piece of prawn and pippy. For some reason they smashed the big baits, probably because my berley wasn't working.

TNA is my local freshwater spot as it's only 5 mins drive from my place, and yes the Carp go nuts for bread, but the secret to catching the really big ones is to use tasty cheese on warmer days. I've pulled out some monsters on cheese.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:54 pm

arabshark wrote:Thanks guys. I'm a very keen fisherman. It's an obsession and passion at the same time. I can't go home unless I've tried every possible solution. I just ordered some Owner size 14 mosquito hooks off eBay (thanks Dougie K). One night I saw a guy pull out a million mullet out of the Maribyrnong and I think he was using salami. Anyone used salami as mullet bait before?
Caught them at Docklands before using ham.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”