Lagoon Pier report

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Lagoon Pier report

Post by Omer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:51 pm

Hey guys,

Went for a night session with a couple of mates to Lagoon last night 28/4. Got there around 11-11:30 and set up towards the end. Strong N to NE winds hitting our backs but surprisingly was a really warm night. Ended up catching 3 flatties and i think around 5 pinkies all undersize except one flatty which i think was just under 30cm. Quite a few bites here and there all pinkies im assuming. Something i was hooked onto got me snagged which caused me to lose my fish and the line. Always great fun making new rigs lol. For bait we had pillies, squid, chicken, bluebait and pippies. I think squid was the least effective tonight with the pillies doing most of the damage.

We picked up a small port jackson which our neighbours took off our hands for some reason. Didnt think you could eat them? They seemed rather excited lol

Also we caught a small gummy which was a first for all three of us. Good joy to actually see one! Ill try to upload a pic of the little guy soon. Quick photo and he was cruising again.

Around an hour before we left my mates line started screaming but we didn't get a hookup unfortunate for us. Really makes you wonder to what it was. ahh well :down:

Around 3 i think it was everything went quiet, but, all in all not a bad night even though all i took home was one flatty.

Omer
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

abzz

Re: Lagoon Pier report

Post by abzz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Great report mate :thumbsup:

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:01 pm

If your reel starts screaming and you don't get a hookup you may not be running enough drag??
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Omer

Post by Omer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks man! Ye could be, it was my mates reel he's drag may have been a little light
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Just a bit of food for thought Omer...

If a fish picks up a bait and runs, you want the reel to engage to set those hooks!!
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Sounds like a top night mate
bet you it was a 7 giller should start around now!
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Omer

Post by Omer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to adjust my own drag to around 1/3 of the strength of the line but tbh im still trying to get used to doing it and setting it right. And i could be wrong but we were a tad concerned about our rods being taken into the dip so im guessing my mate could have left he's drag really loose to prevent that. Probably a little too light

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Hey omer , I was there last night on the bend.
those young Asian blokes u gave the Port Jackson shark too asked me what kind of fish it was and if your could eat it. I Told the young blokes that generally people put them back and don't eat them, I think it was there first time fishing as they asked what type of fish u can catch off lagoon pier.
Only my 2nd time fishing the lagoon pier , thinking I'll be heading more towards the end, as i only got 3 decent bites.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

slinga

Post by slinga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Omer wrote:Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to adjust my own drag to around 1/3 of the strength of the line but tbh im still trying to get used to doing it and setting it right. And i could be wrong but we were a tad concerned about our rods being taken into the dip so im guessing my mate could have left he's drag really loose to prevent that. Probably a little too light
Depending on the line strength I wouldn't run 1/3rd whilst your rod is sitting there, maybe whilst tight on a fish run that much or more if needed.

For anything 10lb or above I would run atleast 1kg of drag, or 20-30lb line probably 1.5kgs of drag whilst soaking baits, this sought of drag pressure gives you the penetration upon hookup. Being worried about losing rods and reels in the drink shouldn't be of concern.

Also, invest in some good rod holders for the pier. You, know the ones that fit in the gaps between the timber planks, and don't sit your rod at more than 45deg to the water. You don't want the rod bending much before the reel engages.

Hope this helps

Mick

Omer

Post by Omer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Could be Cam, the biggest bait we were using was half a pillie I didnt think a shark would even look at that lol

Oh I think I said hi to you then Bowl on my way to the end when i first arrived? Ahh ye they did seem like they were sort of new to the scene. They were excited when we caught the little flatties.
Yeah man try towards the end but I wouldnt be able to recommend it as it was my first time fishing lagoon. But we were defs getting bites at the end so that area may be a bit more productive.

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”