Snaggy lagoon pier

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
ingeer

Snaggy lagoon pier

Post by ingeer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Saturday morning was my first trip to Lagoon pier which turned out to be massive loss of rigs.. Weather is windy and cloudy, discolored water, using bass yabby and cast under the pier from middle of the pier to just before the bend, hoping to hook up some bream. But 1 out of 3 casts i got snag.. Never been here before anyone knows what the hell is down there?? I assumed it was sand bottom but seems not... :roll:

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Snaggy lagoon pier

Post by raco09 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Sunken ship?? :dontknow
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:32 pm

On the city side it's snag central but the St Kilda side isn't at all except for on the bend. Losing 1 out of 3 cast would have done your head in
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:22 am

I've lost that many soft plastics and jig heads close to Lagoon Pier. I think there must be shopping trolleys down there!
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:18 am

LOL ... when I bream fish there I rest the rod against the rail then drop the running sinker rig ( 12 inch leader ) straight down

when it hits bottom I wind 2 turns of the handle, keep the reel locked up because as soon as the bream take it they head for coral unless you stop them in their tracks...

it works.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:01 am

Raulfc7 wrote:On the city side it's snag central but the St Kilda side isn't at all except for on the bend. Losing 1 out of 3 cast would have done your head in
^ x2 what he said. There is reef just out from the bend, fishos often pull chunks of it in. Don't have to cast far at Lagoon BTW.

andybuck

Post by andybuck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Mate, get on Google Maps, and then convert to Google Earth (bottom left corner on the new google maps) & zoom right in on the pier, you can see where the rocks are underwater! You can do this for every pier in the bay (can't claim credit for this trick, read it on another thread in this forum).

I'd had a similar experience to you there - except maybe 1:1 or 1:2 cast:snag ratio on the main pier. Went a couple of weeks ago, went to the end (after the bend), and didn't get a single snag (only caught a small banjo shark and an undersized bream mind you).

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”