Busy at Port Melbourne 24-10-16

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Sinsemilla

Re: Busy at Port Melbourne 24-10-16

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:34 am

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I've caught plenty of fish in the area also with or without rain. It's fact that it's only the surface temp you can read on your electronics and the fish are lower in the water column which is always colder than the surface. Also the fresh water sits on top of salt water because salt water is heavier. But in saying this it would make the water in the area slightly warmer.

It's a good spot for them to fatten up before going into full blown spawn mode i reckon.
Hopefully i can get out Friday morning and bag a few. That's if the weather gods play ball..

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:03 am

More than likely will head out in the next day or two, will give you an update

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:06 am

That area would be a nightmare to fish.

You'd be better off finding a spot with no boats, sound for structure at speed and then when you find it slow down and sound for fish.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:30 am

Do any of you guys know which wind direction is best off Port Melb when hunting these magnificent red bastards?
(it was a light SSW yesterday)

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 pm

South to south westerly is always the best. They bite better with a bit of chop and the water is stirred up. But I've also had my best sessions when its dead calm. A northerly in that area is good if you like fishing in calmer conditions.
I've never really done well when the wind is blowing from the east.
Don't be afraid to fish in really close (like 4m-6m) all along willie, port melb, st Kilda when there is a strong south south westerly.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:20 pm

fitzy90 wrote:More than likely will head out in the next day or two, will give you an update
Hopefully you do well mate, Looking forward to the report

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:South to south westerly is always the best. They bite better with a bit of chop and the water is stirred up. But I've also had my best sessions when its dead calm. A northerly in that area is good if you like fishing in calmer conditions.
I've never really done well when the wind is blowing from the east.
Don't be afraid to fish in really close (like 4m-6m) all along willie, port melb, st Kilda when there is a strong south south westerly.
Thanks for that....I'm sending you a slab if your advice works!

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I've caught plenty of fish in the area also with or without rain. It's fact that it's only the surface temp you can read on your electronicsand the fish are lower in the water column which is always colder than the surface. Also the fresh water sits on top of salt water because salt water is heavier. But in saying this it would make the water in the area slightly warmer.

It's a good spot for them to fatten up before going into full blown spawn mode i reckon.
Hopefully i can get out Friday morning and bag a few. That's if the weather gods play ball..
yep exactly right and the water thing is called salt water wedging this is why you still catch salt water

fish in rivers after rain and they will be in the deeper water were the salt is .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”