Kerferd pier, some tips for a complete newbie?

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Silverforce

Kerferd pier, some tips for a complete newbie?

Post by Silverforce » Sun May 31, 2015 3:41 pm

G'day all, I went to Kerferd last friday, first time ever on ocean fishing, didn't really know what I was doing, very new to fishing altogether.

I did get some sardine cubes and got a paternoster rig with a sinker (thanks youtube!) going.

I definitely had a lot of bites but couldn't hook anything all day except for a flathead (30cm). I was using 1/0 and 3/0 hooks, with going through the cube bait so the hook is pointing out, but can't seem to feel a nibble or bite to strike.

1. Do you guys recommend keeping the line tight or slack, I was trying to keep the line tight but maybe I think it scares the fish if they feel resistance when they nibble and spit it out... *no idea just a thought.

2. If chasing pinkies/snapper, is it best to get to the edge of the pier and cast out as far as possible (where I caught the flathead), or towards the mid of pier casting in shallower waters?

3. I got a lot of nibblers that kept on eating my bait, probably smaller fish, would squid bait be more resistant to that?

4. Would there be squid to catch around that area during winter? :cold:

Thanks!

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Kerferd pier, some tips for a complete newbie?

Post by BIG GAV » Sun May 31, 2015 3:47 pm

Probably toadies mate, down grade ur hook to find out what the bait strippers are but I'd say there toadies, squid is great bait for pinkies. Haven't fished there so can't tell u if there are squid there or not but if it has a lot of weed patches I'd say ur in with a chance. I try fish tight line land based as ur bites are more apparent in my experience anyway. Hope it helps

Gav
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Silverforce

Post by Silverforce » Sun May 31, 2015 4:20 pm

There definitely are weed patches all around, I brought up a few batches with my sinker.

I'll grab a few squid jigs & squid bait for next time, just to give it a try.

Thanks!

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:41 pm

You have done the right thing with your rig. 1/0 and 3/0 hooks are ideal. When using pilchard as bait try and get the hook through the spine as the bait will stay on better. But as Gav mentioned squid is a good bait and is harder to get off the meaning you will get a stronger bite.

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:46 am

& don't worry too much about whereabouts on the pier to fish from. It tends to produce from both sides, up and down on its day.. As a general rule, high tide at night i like to fish the shallows, low tide ill move a little deeper..
Az.

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 pm

I always found I needed to burley up at kerferd, but once I did could always get some flathead. I never worried about casting a mile away from the pier either, found that when I did that I always found snags.

Paternosters chucked not too far out, berley dropped over the side and it always fished better at night.

I've never seen anyone take squid from there either, not saying you couldn't but never seen it.

Silverforce

Post by Silverforce » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks Lar, Az and Fog for the advice.

I'll head on out again tomorrow arvo and maybe stay after dark, hopefully more luck. Weather is going to be freaky cold and windy, just how I like it! :D

Do you guys think there's salmon around there this time of year? I read they are at Lagoon pier up the road.. might be worth it to just chuck out some lures at Kerferd?

azkay

Post by azkay » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 am

Salmon is hard to come by, have heard of the occasional school coming past but haven't witnessed it, not recently anyway. Have seen a few lures being unsuccessfully thrown around but i guess you never know. Mullet & Gars with plenty of burley and right conditions is a possibility though..
Also, in answer to your earlier question, when chasing pinkies/snapper, tight or slack line won't matter too much, they'll make themselves known if they hook up. However if you have small tackle/bait out, i like my line close to tight and rod in my hand if possible so i can see/feel even the smallest bites.
EDIT: Lagoon is a similar option, does give you access to some deeper holes i believe though, either/or i guess..
If your staying after dark then Sealice is something to be aware of, check your baits regularly. As a newbie, paternoster's are a safe and reliable option, experiment with baits such as pilchard and squid too. Make sure you have a headtorch, helps heaps in the dark.
& leave your drag loose!!! plenty of rays that will gladly wear your rod.. Good Luck :)
Az.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:03 pm

From the Navionics info it's not very deep there so big snapper would more likely be quite rare. I've marked how far a 100 meter cast would get you, about 2.5m deep. That does vary a bit off course with the tide. Often if you have an onshore wind that pushes the swell up you get bigger snapper moving in. Large Flatties are often found from 2-6m of water.
For baits like Blue Bait or pillies I get salted so they stay on the hooks a bit longer. You can also use bait mate which keeps the bait on a bit longer.
Some blokes hate salted bait, some hate bait mate. It's what you find works the best is best at the end of the day. There's no right or wrong here (Except I think we all agree the fresher the bait the better your odds).
fish generally like structure of sorts to hide in and to forage through so sometimes being further out doesn't necessarily mean bigger fish.
Another golden rule being land based - Work with your tides 2 Hrs before and 2 Hrs after high tide is your best (unless targeting flatties and whiting specifically). Sun up and sun down with those tides is good. Gummies are different but there are more qualified fishos here than me who can help you target them.
Attachments
Kerferd Rd Pier.jpg
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Silverforce

Post by Silverforce » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Thanks Az again and especially FishnMiss!

Lots of useful info.

I went out from 4pm to 9pm on Kerferd, got nothing, just 1 bite casting out from the edge of the pier, it was a big fish and went for a run then my line broke.

There was a few others there, no bites for them as well. Pretty quiet!

I'll try again next time, maybe the other piers nearby.

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”