Altona pier squid

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
simonc87

Altona pier squid

Post by simonc87 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi guys just wondering has anyone had any luck squid fishing from altona pier keen to go out tonight and try jag a few

CanuckDownUnder

Re: Altona pier squid

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:08 pm

I was there targeting snapper 3 weeks ago. I splashed around with a 2.5 with gold bottom red top, and 3.5 gold/green, no hits.

Take that with a grain of salt though - I've never caught a squid.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:09 pm

I have never caught one at Altona pier .I would try Willy break wall beach a go and float out a silver whiting and also a couple of big rods for a snapper
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:26 pm

bowl - you fish much down that way?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as the rocks there are brutal...only way to get something in is 100% skull drag, too many rocks and reef if you give a fish 1 second of slack you're likely to get bust off.

I don't mean to criticize your recommendation, I'm actually hoping to hear about your experience. Do you agree and just go with skull drag method, or do you have a secret sand flat I don't know about? I'm curious.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Nah I have fished there a n number of times and would Google map to find the sand patches and yeah its a p**** of a place to fish .
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”