Shattered

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Moffo

Shattered

Post by Moffo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:38 am

Been feeling like utter s*#t since last night......

Decided to head out for a fish with a mate with my brother coming later in the day.

Got to station pier around 10:30am. Set up shop, lines in the water, 2 with squid, 6 with pillies. Not a bite, spoke to another fella, same thing, no-ones had anything all day.

3PM, everyone else is gone but us and 1 other fella. He's had nothing either. He soon packs up and heads off.

At this point my brother turns up and gets some lines in. We decided to stick out the wind. It got to about 7:40pm when this happened.

Decided to crank out the surf rod. Pilchard tail on, bait mated up. Threw it out. Not 2 minutes had past until my rod took a massive dive towards the drink which forced me to belly flop onto the floor after diving forward to grab this thing. What ever was on the end of my line was just ripping line out of my spool. At first I thought it was a ray, but then after it's 3rd run I knew it wasn't. About 10 minutes later, I finally get the thing next to the pier, still deep enough to not see it, and it takes off again. I'm thinking we're going to need a bigger gaff. This thing surfaces, THE most stunning snapper I've ever seen with my eyes, we all guessed it would of been around the 80cm mark, but after around 2 minutes of him laying on the top of the water while we look around in the dark for the gaff, he takes another run and I hear the line just "TING". She's gone.

Just getting to see that thing made the trip worth while.

They're out there.

Jeffs_gone_fishing

Re: Shattered

Post by Jeffs_gone_fishing » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am

WOW, bloody epic!!!!!
Man, I feel for you. Hope you get onto another soon.

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:54 am

Gotta hate it when that happens.

Bad luck dude!

Cam.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:59 am

Nice read.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Bad luck moffo at least you got to see and fight it hopefully next time you have better luck
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:50 pm

At least you got to see it nothing worse than fighting a fish and having it snap the line and not knowing what it was. Good read though

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Nude up wrote:At least you got to see it nothing worse than fighting a fish and having it snap the line and not knowing what it was. Good read though
I have had that happen to me ... 2 Winter Reds ago ... 3am ... rod buckled .. line screaming .. fought it for a bit, got "IT" very close to the pier and, 50lb leader, PING!

Still going to therapy over it! :icon_lolz:

It hurts MoFo but makes you stronger!

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Great post moffo!

You should be proud you got it that close, it's all about the thrill anyways and it sounds like you got that, right?

It's like a great sports movie where the underdog team makes it soooo close but they end up losing. At the end of those movies, it's somehow still a great movie. I don't know if that makes sense but that's how I feel.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:21 pm

I was thinking Princes Pier the whole time, I didn't realise you can fish off Station Pier! Can you fish off the end or do you go to one of the areas around the base of the pier? I've seen some beauty fish caught off Princes Pier so I don't know if I'd ever head over to Station anyway but I'm curious.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:30 pm

Great read, thanks for posting, It hurts (been there), but on the bright side think of it as releasing a big breeder!

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”