Weed!!!

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
dwaugh

Weed!!!

Post by dwaugh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 am

Hi guys,

Have been fishing off Werribee south the past 2 weekends and I have only managed a combined total of 3 flathead. I have noticed though that every time I pull my line in I am guaranteed to have this redish seaweed stuck to my hook and sinker. Does anyone know if this weed is affecting the fishing or are the fish just off the chew at the moment?

Being new to Victoria I am also wondering about "pinkies". I have never fished for them before and I just wanted to know what sort of bottom I am after and if there is a best time of year to chase them?

I'm going to head out this afternoon for a couple of hours and I will let you know how I go.

Tight lines,

Dusty

TrevKing

Re: Weed!!!

Post by TrevKing » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:26 am

Hey mate
Weed is always a problem when it's around. Whether it's there in big amounts simply depends on conditions - sometimes it'll be there, sometimes it won't.
Pinkies can be caught using the same rig/bait etc. that you catch flathead on.
Can't help you with locations, sorry.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

dwaugh

Post by dwaugh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:04 am

I had a feeling it might be part of the problem. Thanks for the pinkie tip. Hopefully this arvo I can have a crack at a few.

Cheers,

Dusty

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Went down to Werribee Sth boat ramp Jetty this arvo to catch some mullet for bait. Sea weed was present in tonnes. IS this always the case down there? Spoke to a local and he said it's rare to get a day there without sea weed.
Millions of tiny, baby mullet, but no decent sized ones for bait.
People also catching heaps of bream on worms, but slowed down when weed started getting thicker.

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”