Fish unstoppable

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Fish unstoppable

Post by Matthew drako » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Hey guys, so was fishing Williamstown land based and was quite successful landing a couple flatties 35+cm, a few trevally to 30cm and some big yakkas as as well as some decent 30+ pinkies and the usual smaller Pinkies and bream(did lose a a pinky around 40-45cm at the pier.
Action was of plenty using pilchard fillets for bait and half pillies on another rod
One major problem though, got snapped off 10-15 times by something that I physically couldn’t stop on my 2-4kilo rod with 8 pound line. Basically, I would hook them we gaining ground for a second then bang, surges into/around a pylon and that was all she wrote. My call was big bream/trevally.
Any thoughts on what it was and what could’ve been done.
Thanks
Last edited by Matthew drako on Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scozziefish71

Re: Fish unstoppable

Post by Scozziefish71 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:10 pm

Matthew drako wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 pm
Hey guys, so was fishing Williamstown land based and was quite successful landing a couple flatties 35+cm, a few trevally to 30cm and some big yakkas as as well as the usual smaller Pinkies and bream(did lose a a pinky around 40-45cm at the pier.
Action was of plenty using pilchard fillets for bait and half pillies on another rod
One major problem though, got snapped off 10-15 times by something that I physically couldn’t stop on my 2-4kilo rod with 8 pound line. Basically, I would hook them we gaining ground for a second then bang, surges into/around a pylon and that was all she wrote. My call was big bream/trevally.
Thanks
I have a similar post, huge unknown fish, no way could I stop it. I am starting to think there are a few very large Rays around due to the screaming line and absolutely no give. I have a 3-5kg rod and I couldn't turn the fish at all.
It took me to the bottom and broke me off.
Try heavier gear as I am going to, at least so we can find out what the hell they are.

Matthew drako

Post by Matthew drako » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Scozziefish71 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:10 pm
Matthew drako wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 pm
Hey guys, so was fishing Williamstown land based and was quite successful landing a couple flatties 35+cm, a few trevally to 30cm and some big yakkas as as well as the usual smaller Pinkies and bream(did lose a a pinky around 40-45cm at the pier.
Thanks
I have a similar post, huge unknown fish, no way could I stop it. I am starting to think there are a few very large Rays around due to the screaming line and absolutely no give. I have a 3-5kg rod and I couldn't turn the fish at all.
It took me to the bottom and broke me off.
Try heavier gear as I am going to, at least so we can find out what the hell they are.
Yeah might try 20pound leader. Mine defenitely weren’t rays, rapid head shakes then straight around pylon. Looking at your post u mentioned that it was shaking rapidly at the start then screamed off. I had a similar instance at Barwon heads where it was fighting like a trevally then screamed off and couldn’t stop. I’ve been told that’s what the mighty jew fish do and for this time of year with the pump on at warmies at night I reckon it was. Go back with 4 inch plastics and heavier gear and fish the night on the next full moon especially leading up to winter and ur a chance. Couple mates of caught a few doing that

Matthew drako

Post by Matthew drako » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:37 pm

Also with my fish they weren’t line peelers just couldn’t turn em, managed to turn one in which I pulled the hooks on. People fishing next to me couldn’t believe the power in the fish. They felt like monster bream at first with the head shakes then around the pylon but than managed to catch a few average trevally and saw a monster trev come up into the Berley under the thousand tiny mullet.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:56 am

Bream or mulloway

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:50 am

Might have been a very big Trev. Those things do go very hard.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:04 am

A lot of speculations, lol. At least you know it's there, go back and hunt it!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

bilby

Post by bilby » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Sounds like mulloway to me - except for the bit about not peeling line - you would expect to lose a lot of line very quickly with mulloway. And if they are, you're going to need a lot more than 20lb leader to have any chance at all near pylons ...

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Occam’s razor boys

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Based on only using small outfits, they could be anything. 10-15 times though tends to steer me away from thinking it could be a jew. If there were headshakes, it wasn't a ray or banjo. There's a chance they were snapper, maybe big salmon or tailor. Who knows, it's all speculation. The only way you'll ever know is to try again, and hopefully get a glimpse of it. But I'd advise to leave the kid's rod at home and take the bigger one next time ;)

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”