Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Re: Help! - Fishing off Altona

Post by Sebb » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:45 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:31 am
Just got back. Heaps of kayakers and boaters.
Got out there 6:30am and fished 4-5m. Heaps of undersized pinkies as usual. Drifted to 7m and had about an hour of flathead frenzy, mostly undersized. Got two fish on one paternoster rig and saw another free swimming flathead chasing the two hooked flathead all the way to the surface. Very unusual.
I got two and my mate got three of 27-30cm. No whitings.

Most kayakers back on the ramp saying the same thing, heaps of undersized pinkies and flathead.

#stillcravingwhitings (-_-")

Great day out Seb, some flatties are always a welcomed dinner guest , , , , well dinner guest isn't exactly what they are, but if you tell them they are the dinner, it may make them less likely to bite.

It's always comforting (but maybe not reassuring) if others back at the ramp have fared the same.

I have noticed with your posts, you do get around and amongst all manner of fishing. I get tried trying to keep up. And I'm only doing the reading, not the fishing.

Cheers, Bugatti
Thanks Bugatti, I have a wide range of interest and curious to learn something new, hence I do all kind of fishing (except boat fishing, since I dont have a boat and cant afford one... yet...). Tried blue water fishing off Meriton QLD, and hooked a marlin, lost if after 30 mins battle, couldn't even lift a water bottle after that. Decided big sport fishing isn't my thing.
Also, I am lucky to have a very understanding wife about me and mu fishing addiction :cheers:

I heard about SA's monter snappers and Port Augusta's 20kg+ kingfish. I remember Paul Wosterling caught a big snapper by dropping a socket key eith jigging hook and Adevnture Bound guy caught 20kg king in Port Augusta. One day I'll go there to try.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:52 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks Bugatti, I have a wide range of interest and curious to learn something new, hence I do all kind of fishing (except boat fishing, since I dont have a boat and cant afford one... yet...)

I heard about SA's monter snappers and Port Augusta's 20kg+ kingfish. I remember Paul Wosterling caught a big snapper by dropping a socket key eith jigging hook and Adevnture Bound guy caught 20kg king in Port Augusta. One day I'll go there to try.
Seby, I have a boat , , , , they are at times over rated. The joy of catching a fish is not defined by the "platform" you use to go fishing from but more from the person doing the catching. The way you write about your fishing escapades, I can tell that you enjoy your fishing no matter what. Just keep doing what you are doing, you do great.

As far as SA's monster Snapper , , , , they are getting fewer in numbers. They are still around, just not as frequent and sizes on average have dropped. That's why The Whyalla Council has dropped the "Snapper Comp" that they use to hold at Easter. The entrants had dropped to half over the last years because the snapper just aren't in numbers. And the "winning snapper" has been won by a decreasing size every year. You have a better chance with a good Charter operator, but still not the same as catching one by your own efforts.

Plus the BIG Kingies at Pt Augusta, although some are still around (and there are some schools of smaller keeper Kingies) the same can be said about them. Once the Old Power Station closed, same again, still around but harder to get the BIG boys.

From what I can tell, Vic may not have the Monster Reds, but the big reds are over rated except to tick off the list, you guys can still get the 10 kgs if not close.

Plus, Jervis Bay (closer for you guys) is where I'd be going for the King of Kingies.

neil tedesco.PNG

Miss the days of Neil Tedesco on Adventure Bound, sad about his passing through that free diving mishap. Lee Rayner (Neil's replacement) was actually better at explaining things but he was "plain" where as Neil had that Charisma.

Anyway Seby, keep doing what you are doing, you do great

Cheers, Bug

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:32 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:52 pm

Seby, I have a boat , , , , they are at times over rated. The joy of catching a fish is not defined by the "platform" you use to go fishing from but more from the person doing the catching. The way you write about your fishing escapades, I can tell that you enjoy your fishing no matter what. Just keep doing what you are doing, you do great.

As far as SA's monster Snapper , , , , they are getting fewer in numbers. They are still around, just not as frequent and sizes on average have dropped. That's why The Whyalla Council has dropped the "Snapper Comp" that they use to hold at Easter. The entrants had dropped to half over the last years because the snapper just aren't in numbers. And the "winning snapper" has been won by a decreasing size every year. You have a better chance with a good Charter operator, but still not the same as catching one by your own efforts.

Plus the BIG Kingies at Pt Augusta, although some are still around (and there are some schools of smaller keeper Kingies) the same can be said about them. Once the Old Power Station closed, same again, still around but harder to get the BIG boys.

From what I can tell, Vic may not have the Monster Reds, but the big reds are over rated except to tick off the list, you guys can still get the 10 kgs if not close.

Plus, Jervis Bay (closer for you guys) is where I'd be going for the King of Kingies.

neil tedesco.PNG

Miss the days of Neil Tedesco on Adventure Bound, sad about his passing through that free diving mishap. Lee Rayner (Neil's replacement) was actually better at explaining things but he was "plain" where as Neil had that Charisma.

Anyway Seby, keep doing what you are doing, you do great

Cheers, Bug
Thanks Bugatti, such a nice and wise thing to say ;-)
Master Yoda you sound like.

Yeah I heard about the reduction in numbers and sizes, hopefully not getting too significant in the future.
What about thr Aussie salmon? Legend and myth say both SA and WA have 8-10kg aussie salmons lurking around the beaches.

Agree about Neil and Lee. Neil has the charisma and has such a loveable character. Lee is such a great teacher, he not only tells what we want, he tells what we need, even without us realising it.

I met him once in his store, I only said g'day and looking for cod surface lure, he straight away offered me help with cod on surface 101 lesson in 10 mins. It would've taken me weeks if i were to look for the info myself. I remember he said, those surface lures are very buoyant and most of them the hooks sit up high, hence we miss a lot of fish on the boofs. I was like, ooooow makes sense and logical.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”