Fish id

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Gen1989

Fish id

Post by Gen1989 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi guys.Was out for a fish today.The bottom was reef.I looked over the side of the boat and saw a 60-70 cm light blue/grey coloured fish with black vertical stripes along its body.Does anybody know what type of fish it may have been.I was thinking maybe a type of cod but i thought they were off shore and not in the bay.sorry i didnt take a photo.

bilby

Re: Fish id

Post by bilby » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Banded Morwong? I've seen them mooching around the rocks at Newport near the warmies sometimes.

Gen1989

Post by Gen1989 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:57 pm

No thats not it.he was bluey grey in color.different body shape to a morwong.closest thing i can find in my vic fishing book is a black cod but i really thought theyre in much deeper water and off shore.i was around long reef werribee way.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:06 pm

It was probably a big Wrasse from your description
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Butterfish?

Gen1989

Post by Gen1989 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Yeah ive come to the conclusion that it must have been a butterfish also know as black cod.on the net the pics show em without the stripes but in our vic fish guide it has the stripes just like i saw.i threw abit of bait over n tried to catch him but he spooked and im glad because your not aloud to catch em.lolhas anybody else seen them inside of the bay?thanks for your answers guys too

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Gen1989 wrote:Yeah ive come to the conclusion that it must have been a butterfish also know as black cod.on the net the pics show em without the stripes but in our vic fish guide it has the stripes just like i saw.i threw abit of bait over n tried to catch him but he spooked and im glad because your not aloud to catch em.lolhas anybody else seen them inside of the bay?thanks for your answers guys too
Yes, they’re everywhere

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”