williamstown ferg st pier 14/05/18

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
LINwAd

Re: williamstown ferg st pier 14/05/18

Post by LINwAd » Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm

sirsquidalot wrote:
LINwAd wrote:
sirsquidalot wrote:Also, I forgot to add, there was a young chap at the pier yesterday who'm I met, I believe his name was 'Albert' or something of the like, who was fishing for Bream on some super light soft plastic gear (4 pound braid and 4 pound leader). He wasn't getting any bites but when he witnessed me getting a flathead in so he switched to a 1/8 jighead and starting stripping the bottom. In 5 minutes or so he hooked into quite a large one, bigger than any of the fish i landed yesterday. He fought it for about 5 minutes, i tried to climb down one of the ladders on the pier with my fly fishing net to help him land but when the fish got the surface it shook off the line. Poor 'Albert' was devastated. I suggested he use some of my 14 pound leader I had on my persons, we gratefully agreed and re tied the heavier leader onto his line. 5 minutes or so after getting his line back in he was on again. The second fish wasn't as large as the first but the young chap was absolutly delighted to land a good sized Flathead. On you Albert.
Great job helping him out. Shows it pays to have a variety of leader weights with you. When it fires at that pier it really produces a good amount of fish! I think my best day there was 3 flathead and 4 bream in 2 hours.
a wise man once told me "learning to learn is the first step in learning"
No-one ever knows everything, I really hate it when people think they know everything or rub it in your face that they know how to do something you don't. Its great learning new things! I love to teach and I love to learn. The wise man that said that to you was 100% right.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 am

sirsquidalot wrote:Also, I forgot to add, there was a young chap at the pier yesterday who'm I met, I believe his name was 'Albert' or something of the like, who was fishing for Bream on some super light soft plastic gear (4 pound braid and 4 pound leader). He wasn't getting any bites but when he witnessed me getting a flathead in so he switched to a 1/8 jighead and starting stripping the bottom. In 5 minutes or so he hooked into quite a large one, bigger than any of the fish i landed yesterday. He fought it for about 5 minutes, i tried to climb down one of the ladders on the pier with my fly fishing net to help him land but when the fish got the surface it shook off the line. Poor 'Albert' was devastated. I suggested he use some of my 14 pound leader I had on my persons, we gratefully agreed and re tied the heavier leader onto his line. 5 minutes or so after getting his line back in he was on again. The second fish wasn't as large as the first but the young chap was absolutly delighted to land a good sized Flathead. On you Albert.
Good on ya mate for helping out

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 am

LINwAd wrote:
sirsquidalot wrote:
LINwAd wrote:
Great job helping him out. Shows it pays to have a variety of leader weights with you. When it fires at that pier it really produces a good amount of fish! I think my best day there was 3 flathead and 4 bream in 2 hours.
a wise man once told me "learning to learn is the first step in learning"
No-one ever knows everything, I really hate it when people think they know everything or rub it in your face that they know how to do something you don't. Its great learning new things! I love to teach and I love to learn. The wise man that said that to you was 100% right.
:thumbsup:

sirsquidalot
Has liked: 1 time

Post by sirsquidalot » Wed May 16, 2018 11:44 am

smile0784 wrote:
Good on ya mate for helping out

one team one dream

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm

How did the fish tacos turn out? :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Im curious also

sirsquidalot
Has liked: 1 time

Post by sirsquidalot » Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Lightningx wrote:How did the fish tacos turn out? :)

so good. all about the shallow fried flat head.

Squids Fish Tacos

INGREDIENTS

1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice 
2 cobs corn, husks and silks removed
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil or rice bran oil
1 avocado, mashed
corn flake crumbs.
a couple eggs
1 French shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon ground coriander
paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
400g white fish fillets, cut into strips
4 flour tortillas, warmed through
1 tablespoon light sour cream
Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
Thinly sliced fresh jalapeno chilli, to serve (optional)
Lime cheeks, to serve
Hot chilli sauce, to serve
vegetable oil

METHOD
Step 1 
Mix the cabbage, extra virgin olive oil and 1 tbs of the lemon or lime juice in a bowl until well combined. 
Step 2 
Cook the corn in a steamer set over a saucepan of simmering water for 10 minutes or until just tender.
Step 3 
Preheat a barbecue plate or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brush the corn with 1 tsp of the olive oil. Add the corn and cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until charred. Remove the kernels from the cob.
Step 4 
Combine the avocado, shallot, coriander and remaining lemon or lime juice in a bowl.
Step 5 
Combine the flour, ground coriander, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper in a large shallow bowl. Turn the fish in the flour mixture to coat, then roll in beaten eggs, then roll in corn flake crumbs. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
Step 6 
Divide the tortillas among plates. Top with the cabbage mixture, corn, fish, avocado, sour cream, coriander and chilli, if desired. Serve with the lime cheeks and chilli sauce.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 16, 2018 1:01 pm

sirsquidalot wrote:
Lightningx wrote:How did the fish tacos turn out? :)

so good. all about the shallow fried flat head.

Squids Fish Tacos

INGREDIENTS

1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice 
2 cobs corn, husks and silks removed
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil or rice bran oil
1 avocado, mashed
corn flake crumbs.
a couple eggs
1 French shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon ground coriander
paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
400g white fish fillets, cut into strips
4 flour tortillas, warmed through
1 tablespoon light sour cream
Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
Thinly sliced fresh jalapeno chilli, to serve (optional)
Lime cheeks, to serve
Hot chilli sauce, to serve
vegetable oil

METHOD
Step 1 
Mix the cabbage, extra virgin olive oil and 1 tbs of the lemon or lime juice in a bowl until well combined. 
Step 2 
Cook the corn in a steamer set over a saucepan of simmering water for 10 minutes or until just tender.
Step 3 
Preheat a barbecue plate or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brush the corn with 1 tsp of the olive oil. Add the corn and cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until charred. Remove the kernels from the cob.
Step 4 
Combine the avocado, shallot, coriander and remaining lemon or lime juice in a bowl.
Step 5 
Combine the flour, ground coriander, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper in a large shallow bowl. Turn the fish in the flour mixture to coat, then roll in beaten eggs, then roll in corn flake crumbs. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
Step 6 
Divide the tortillas among plates. Top with the cabbage mixture, corn, fish, avocado, sour cream, coriander and chilli, if desired. Serve with the lime cheeks and chilli sauce.
That does sound very nice mate!
Thanks for sharing the recipe and the method of cooking it.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”