Finally a big one!

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
TheGreatestGoat

Finally a big one!

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

So after a few trips getting some decent snapper, and missing out on a couple of big ones. The moons aligned.

Got down to Willy bright and early and was the first boat there. Someone had given the kingies a boost as their were a couple of frames down at the ramp. The anonymous kingie slayer had left his calling card on the boat launching platform as an offering to the fish gods. Possibly sitting at bed with a smug grin thinking, "I wonder if anyone has seen it yet, they won't know it was me!"

A mate arrived and took it for burley.

Headed out and started sounding around for some pag in 12-14 between willy and altona, but alas, getting word of their fallen comrade back at the ramp were hiding out having a couple of sombre pints of liquid Cunjevoi and contemplating that their turn could be next. The snapper were thin.

Eventually found a cluster of juveniles, and with an eagerness to get fishing I thought I would give it a crack and see if any drunk reds from the fish wake were stumbling off home. No such luck, and after landing about 10 undersize pinkies the time was nigh to move on.

I could hear P2 whispering my name on the light westerly so P2 is where I went. With night folding into day, the sun's presence became known. The window of opportunity was sliding away like a burley pot not properly tied to the boat.

Then, without warning, a boomerang sprung from the seabed floor due south of P2. Despite appearing nothing more that a red pixelation on screen, I knew that this must be a starving Red in dire need of a Vancouver Bait Supply Pilchard for breakfast. Being a philanthropic type, I couldn't help but assist.

With a veritable smorgasbord laid out to rival the Sizzler salad bar Circa 1998, it was time to wait.

But no waiting was needed as the far starboard rod keels over with duress. I'm thinking perhaps it's a Banjo shark, as there's just dead weight. So I give the rod a solid heave ho'. A monster is awakened. Off screams big red with a vengeance, as if it's just watched a Fast & Furious movie marathon. He heads for the anchor rope, and then for the burley pot. But I won't be denied again. Not today.

Eventually I see it and it is large. Large indeed. One last ditch dive for freedom is almost successful, but my net is positioned in its getaway path thwarting any hope of escape. A quick spike behind the eye and it is all over. A 91cm 7.6kg Snapper, my PB of the season.

Then as if I am some sort of trendy Hipster cafe at 10am on a Saturday morning, a queue of hungry patrons begins forming eager to find out what all the fuss is about. I can't provide milk crates to sit on, but I can offer delicious, juicy, fresh pilchards.

The next through the door is a 4kg specimen who engulfs his meal like he's not eaten for a week. Then a 3kg bloke who is cranky, opting for the daily chefs special of silver whiting. 3 more are landed, but we are full and sent back home.

Overall a successful opening of the Delicious Pilchard Cafe. Let's hope that like most small enterprises, it doesn't go out of business within the first 12 months.

What a morning!

Cheers,
Goat

Sinsemilla

Re: Finally a big one!

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Good work mate!

Over the years heaps of guys trolling for salmon around Altona and Williamstown have been spooled.. suspect kings.. Just need to crack the code..

Anth

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Top report mate.

Congrats on your PB it certainly is a beauty! Well done :thumbsup:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 pm

cracking fish well done it was A great read

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:01 pm

That's a cracker!! Well done on some great fish.
Good report too

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Haha great read mate, thoroughly enjoyed it. Ripper fish too.

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 pm

That was a great read, enjoyed it. Congrats on the pb too it’s a nice one!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Well done mate

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Top report mate. Great Reds there, that 7kg must have felt awesome, thats what i hope to catch.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Phil's pillies have been arguably the best in the country this year. Nice fish, and as it rains right now, beating the weather is even better

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”