Altona Whiting 18/01

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
TheGreatestGoat

Altona Whiting 18/01

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 am

Hey All,

Hope everyone had a good Chrissy and New Years!

Decided to knock off work early yesterday afternoon, willy weather and BOM suggested winds would remain light but by the time I got home there was a howling sou' wester. Decided to trust the internet and that winds would ease, which didn't happen (only got stronger). But nonetheless, gave it a crack.

Always done much better on the whiting front than the snapper, but used to fishing Brighton and Black Rock areas, but after moving to the west recently decided it was time to go and find some fertile whiting grounds this side of the bay.

Decided to cruise from Altona Ramp towards point cook and about half way there were some decent weed beds interspersed with sand patches that look like they would hold whiting and squid. First cast and I was on. Got it to the boat and it was the weirdest looking whiting I've ever seen. It was pink, and round instead of long and thin, with big boggly eyes.

It was a rare species of whiting, known as the Pinkius Whitingus aka the pinkie snapper. Spent a good hour pulling in pinkies every cast with a few double headers on the paternoster rig. 90% were undersize but managed a few keepers most of which went back in but kept what I can eat - 3 around the 32cm for the table. Made a few moves in the same area without success on the spotted bonefish.

Also tried the other day near point cook. Found a long, finger shaped reef on the sounder that runs parallel to point cook on the werribee side. Fished the edge of this, but was plagued by small pinkies here too.

Anyone, know where I can escape the pinkie plague and get onto some 'tings in the area?

Conditions had really deteriorated by 8pm and pulled up stumps. All in all a good evening on the water, despite the conditions being pretty uncomfortable.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Altona Whiting 18/01

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:14 am

Nice feed there :thumbsup:

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am

If you are looking for whiting on the west side. They seem more prolific around werribee south, wedge spit, kirks point and avalon.

From altona, they can sometimes bey found left from the ramp towards koroit creek mouth. Around outer reef marker, or towards point cook near skeleton creek (also good squid ground).

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:49 am

Yup about a 1k from werribee ramp,later towards dusk the better.

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”