PPB reef project

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Bartnmax

Re: PPB reef project

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Um, does anyone else think this smacks of Bureaucratic idiocy?
I mean - pier - boats pulling up at pier - reef under boat - WHACK!
Also, wonder just how long it'll take for some noobob kid to jump off the pier light (just as I did as a kid) & land smack on the reef & kill themself?

I'm all for more reefs.
Love to see more of em, especially on the western side of the bay, but 10m out from the end of a pier?
C'mon, why not just float a coupla mines while they're at it?

Whose idiot idea was this anyway?

Bill A.

vxcalais
Has liked: 3 times

Post by vxcalais » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:46 pm

I havent seen much fish around the Pier lately, always been dead for me personally. The reef works are complete, and they have either attracted thefish too it, or scared them off. Boats are not allowed to dock at that pier in any case ??? Even the Kayakers are not launching near the pier. Many lighter boats will not hit the reef anyway as off the pier, even at low tide is pretty deep, which is why all the old blokes fight over the end of it.....

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... y-2012.pdf

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Bartnmax wrote:Um, does anyone else think this smacks of Bureaucratic idiocy?
I mean - pier - boats pulling up at pier - reef under boat - WHACK!
Also, wonder just how long it'll take for some noobob kid to jump off the pier light (just as I did as a kid) & land smack on the reef & kill themself?

I'm all for more reefs.
Love to see more of em, especially on the western side of the bay, but 10m out from the end of a pier?
C'mon, why not just float a coupla mines while they're at it?

Whose idiot idea was this anyway?

Bill A.
My understanding that the reefs will placed within casting distances and that is 50 metres. If it true that the reefs will be only 10 metres from the end of the pier.

So for someone to jump 10 metres or thirty feet they should be in the Olympics.

I know off of Frankston pier it is at least 3-4 metres deep. So for a boat to hit the reef they would have to have a draught of 3-4 metres, so I think most trawlers would be safe and there is not a trailer boat, unless you count a yacht with a keel that would draw a draught of that depth.

So unless your boats sinks, it should be reasonably safe from hitting the reef.

vxcalais

Post by vxcalais » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:39 am

I think PPB has a average depth of 8m. In general it is a shallow Bay that does not circulate its water out much. Hence why the dredging was needed for the large ships.

Tomcat1

Re: PPB reef projectsider

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:33 am

CarlG wrote:
Andoki wrote:Yea, I searched the artificial reefs topic and it is exactly like you said Wolly ... but the only thing that I could not get is the distance from the pier ... 10 m is very close to the pier, is that how it should be?
10mtrs from the pier..? Given that piers are usually for boats primarily, I don`t understand how putting a reef 10mtrs from the edge of a pier would work from a safety side...can anyone explain it to me..? Sounds good in principal though..
Carl..
my understanding of the piers is that unless a boat is docking onto a pier which is really rare to see they are supposed to stay 50 meters from the pier and be doing 5 knots while going passed them. but this never happens so they come in too close too fast and tangle up pier fishers lines in their prop and pull rods in. so piers arent primarily for boats they are for the public to fish, sunbath or enjoy being out in the fresh air and sunshine.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm

With mordi pier appearing to be a snapper hot spot at the moment, I wonder why it is when compared to other piers.

Looking at google earth it is possible to see dark areas around the pier, these dark areas are either reef and/or weed growth.
So it is possible because of the reef, weed snapper will come in closer. So in theory the addition of reefs to Frankston, Altona and Port Arlington piers, should in the next few years improve catchs.

vxcalais

Post by vxcalais » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:33 am

It may take longer than a few years, it may be have already taken......... Mordi pier was already pretty good, but Altona some days is just so empty, fish wise. I think it fishes way better during Jan to March.......

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:01 am

vxcalais wrote:It may take longer than a few years, it may be have already taken......... Mordi pier was already pretty good, but Altona some days is just so empty, fish wise. I think it fishes way better during Jan to March.......
I conducted an internet search and found
Did the reefs work?

Following their deployment, the three reefs were the focus of a rigorous three-year scientific monitoring trial. This involved regular dive surveys, the use of baited underwater video cameras, fishing trials using expert anglers and surveys of anglers at boat ramps.

The three reefs were rapidly colonised by a range of marine plants and animals along with a variety of fish including many popular with anglers. Snapper was one of the most common fish detected.

Anglers surveyed as part of the trial were satisfied with their fishing experience on the new reefs and indicated they would return to fish the reefs
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... ased-reefs

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 am

Watching the video, within 2-3 years they were catching mature snapper off of the artificial reefs.

vxcalais

Post by vxcalais » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Cant wait now for the hundreds of boats congregating over the reef over the next few years, so much for trying to cast to it.

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”