Docklands

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Docklands

Post by sloth » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:51 am

Got in a quick 30 mins before work down at Dock 9. Only recently started fishing again so got my first legal bream and PB 28.5 to fork.

Had a few goes during last week with no touches. The two I've landed recently have both come on fc straight-thru and vibes.

Beautiful morning for it. Water was like glass.

5ubzero

Re: Docklands

Post by 5ubzero » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:55 am

i havetried on vibes but fail me. how far do you let it sink? and do you stop go and flick? or just retrieve it

sloth

Post by sloth » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:31 am

Basically I pick a bit of vertical structure such as a pylon, preferably in shade and just drop the vibe down the side of it. I let it free spool through my fingers - if it stops early or it shoots out I close the bail and strike. I basically let it drop until it hits the bottom. If that happens I let it sit for 5-10 seconds then I'll give it a couple of short lifts and let it sink again. Then I dead stick for anything up to 30s - if nothing on the next lift I retrieve in and wander off to another pylon. I'm a complete noob at breamin but both mine came on the drop and I understand that's pretty common. Biggest mistake is not moving enough - if a couple of goes doesn't result then move somewhere else until you find the fish that want to play. Great thing about docklands and the hardest thing is that it is pretty much all structure .... So got to keep moving. I have a couple of favourite spots now but nothing is guaranteed.

I've had no luck with fishing stickbaits or cranks along the dockside or pontoons. See plenty of baitfish/minnows in the water though. Also had no luck tea-bagging anything other than straight thru fc.... The bream are definitely cautious ... As my friend constantly reminds me he thinks my first catch was the equivalent of the bream village idiot :)

Other thing is it pays to be light on your feet and conscious of where you're casting your shadow. I've heard massive splashes underneath the jetty when I've spooked them clomping around.

Other than that its just persistence - I've had at least five or six 45 min sessions with no touches between catches.

Good luck !

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:57 pm

great fish there!

I've caught many bream there on the old mono and I use around 15lb leader with metal vibes so fc is not a must, but I guess it can't hurt.

Went down there today at lunch, just the one bite on a little SP grub but didn't hook up. Didn't feel like a bream though, it just grabbed the SP and ran. Can't see any bream swimming around yet so its only going to get better.

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 am

eddyt wrote: Went down there today at lunch, just the one bite on a little SP grub but didn't hook up. Didn't feel like a bream though, it just grabbed the SP and ran. Can't see any bream swimming around yet so its only going to get better.
I've done a few lunchtimes last week and no touches. Definitely overcast or mornings are more productive for me. Same on seeing them too - heard plenty but not seen any cruising around as yet. This is my first year fishing for the old bream - when do they usually fire up at the docks ?

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:49 am

Another good method at the Docks when the fish are under the floating pontoons. Cast a shallow diving (suspending) HB as far as you can along the deck, then slow roll with the occasional twitch. This runs the lure right past their noses and is an alternative to dropping micro's. Another method is to drop your HB at the start of the deck, then walk to the end (keeping out of sight) leaving your bail arm open. Start your retrieve when you get to the end, this method eliminates any dodgy casts.

Make sure it's a slow retrieve if the fish are spooky.

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:34 am

Cheers for the tips greggo. I've given the latter method a few goes but always end up going back to T-bagging as its produced for me. I'm hoping to do something other than t-bag once things start warming up..... Not the most exciting way to fish and I've got a bunch of shallow suspenders that are overdue for a swim :)

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm

closer towards christmas when the water warms up some more, you should start seeing them swimming around. The pinkies should start showing up around then too and they're a joy to watch. You'll see red/pink with bright blue on their fins.

afternoons are generally not that good but hey, better spending lunch with a rod than eating in the office right? :)

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:47 pm

eddyt wrote:afternoons are generally not that good but hey, better spending lunch with a rod than eating in the office right? :)
Too right ... in fact the biggest issue is resisting the "one last cast" and ensuring lunch doesn't turn into a two hour affair :)

I'm just lucky I'm ten mins from the docks else I wouldn't get to spend anywhere near as much time as I do fishing.

sloth

Post by sloth » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:33 pm

For want of a better place I'm just going to keep adding my dock reports to this thread. Going to be fishing the docks a fair bit since its close to work and I only get the odd 30mins - 1hr to fish these days. Will help my memory and hopefully may give some indication of how the fishing is going for other members. Won't give away any secret spots if I find them but happy to tell you where the fish aren't - that's mainly where I fish anyways :-D

Spent lunch up at North Wharf arrived pretty much 30mins after high tide. Fished micro vibes on straight-thru 5lb FC along the wharf side from the pontoon ramp back towards the CBD. T-bagged the obvious fishy looking spots but no touches. Would have tried the ramp/pontoon but it already had a couple of baitos and lure fisho's on it. Saw two decent good-sized bream landed from just off the ramp - one on bait and one on vibe.

Switched to SP (rockin crab loaded with s-factor) for 15mins at the end but again, nothing to show for it. Compared to having a hardbody on the line it feels alien having a little plastic crab. Hard to imagine fish hitting it. Tried fluttering it down pylons on a 1/32 jighead as well as crawling it parallel to the wharf.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”