Docklands

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Docklands

Post by sloth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Tried a different approach this morning. First flathead and first fish on soft plastics. The bream was icing on the cake. Both undersize but happy for anything at docklands at the moment :)

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 pm

well, after numerous donuts at the docks (except those gobies), I decided to break the spell by cheating today.

Brought some chicken with me to catch some pinkies and flathead after work. Sure enough, 2nd cast produced this little guy
DSC_1018.jpg
Got a few more bites afterwards but just got one more pinky, partly because I wasn't really paying attention to the rod and looking at the pylons watching the bream cruising by.

After a bit, decided to move to another spot and saw even more bream munching away on the pylons, so I made the switch back to the micro vibe. The bream wouldn't even look at it and just swam away. So back to the chicken, unweighted on a #4 hook. First drop, could see the bream munch on the chicken, but nothing of size so no hook up. Next drop saw a 30cm+ model swim up and sniff the bait, swim away, come back, have another look. I reckon it was just about to take it when a much smaller model came up and smashed it! I bet the big guy would have been laughing at the little guy for being so stupid. "Small" turned out to be around the 24-26cm mark, which means the big one might have been well over 35cm because it made the small one look tiny!
DSC_1020.jpg
Anyway, today just shows how much I really need some lessons on how to teabag with micro vibes, because it ain't working out for me. The bream were actively feeding today and not shy at all. I did notice however that unweighted bait floats down significantly slower than micro vibes, and the bream were feeding close to the surface, so maybe it's just one of those days not meant for lures.

Just on dark the water surface started bubbling with fish jumping everywhere. I'm guessing they were mullet, threw every lure I had at them with no luck.

sloth

Docklands

Post by sloth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:32 am

Good stuff mate. Docklands lucky dip :) I've had a few flatties and a trevally recently ... Always expect a surprise at docklands :) .... The bream you can see are quite tricky to catch and can be skittish around vibes ... I've had most luck recently on plastics .... I fished with a few mates on Tuesday and no-one got one on vibes, only SP.

That's a luderick in the first pic? Still not up on all my species lol.

Nice to see you onto some fish. Cheers

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:12 pm

nice effort fishing in yr lunchbreak !!

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

eddyt

Post by eddyt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:34 pm

the first one is a pinky snapper. probably around 20cm. There were a few of them around, and they bite hard! I was fishing with a running sinker leaving the line loose, then strike when the line straightens up. Only ever caught 1 pinky on a SP because the small ones don't go after lures much, but i know some guys regularly chase pinkies/snapper on plastics and i have caught a 2kg snapper on a plastic before.

No trevally or flathead from the docks for me yet. My list of species caught from the docks so far:
On lures: Bream, pinky snapper, salmon, bridled goby, mulloway (almost, I always use light gear and I can't lift them out of the water)
On bait: mullet, pufferfish, turdfish

sloth

Post by sloth » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:11 am

Lol - I forgot about my turdfish ... Haha .. So far for me then it's Flattie, bream, trev and turdfish :)

I would have never picked that as a pinkie ... Never bothered to google them but just assumed they'd look like a little pink snapper.

Had a quick flick yesterday. The bream are up to their usual trick of being highly visible but not taking anything. Wouldn't mind getting onto more trevs too be honest ... They go hard on light tackle ... A decent sized one would be fun :)

eddyt

Post by eddyt » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:22 pm

i find the only way to catch the bream on the surface is to drift a bit of unweighted bait in front of them. Bread > mussels > prawn > chicken. They don't seem to like lures much. Next time try taking some bread with you, just throw some in the water and watch the bream feed. I heard a lot of the office guys like feeding their pets with their sandwiches.

sloth

Post by sloth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Depressingly correct on the bread front ....

Doesn't attract the horses though :/

eddyt

Post by eddyt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:20 pm

no way...the big ones love their bread! Planning on dropping down tomorrow if it doesnt rain

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Should have said doesn't just attract the horses. I had a plague of pickers ... The big ones that checked it out also knew it wasn't kosher. I reckon they see or sense the line.

good luck tomorrow - bait or lure this time ?

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”