maribynong river fishing

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
stevce

Re: maribynong river fishing

Post by stevce » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:44 pm

hey guys,

im pretty knew at this just wondering at the river have trout in it and is that what is jumping out of the water to catch the bugs late at nights??

netmaker

Post by netmaker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 pm

chopzor wrote:Bit of a bump but I ripped 3 70cm carp and a few reddies yesterday.
Hi Chopzor,you mention Redfin,you are aware of the "Redfin comp arn't you'? cheer's Murph.....
3p's will catch you fish,patients,perserverence,persistance....

chopzor

Post by chopzor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 am

netmaker wrote:
chopzor wrote:Bit of a bump but I ripped 3 70cm carp and a few reddies yesterday.
Hi Chopzor,you mention Redfin,you are aware of the "Redfin comp arn't you'? cheer's Murph.....
Yes I am aha, too bad I caught these before the comp started, caught a monster that was 37cm...which is pretty big I think, but then again I wouldn't know what a big redfin is as I haven't really caught too many.

Haven't been fishing in a few weeks,may give it a go tonight.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:37 am

The upper Yarra also fishes good for the same species , as the nong .

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:49 pm

The Pinkies were out in the Nong last night around Footscray.

Between 8pm and Midnight, I caught 4 from 30-32cm, kept 2. Wasn't what I was after but sometimes it's better to catch something rather than nothing.

Cam.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm

SFP Guy. wrote:The Pinkies were out in the Nong last night around Footscray.

Between 8pm and Midnight, I caught 4 from 30-32cm, kept 2. Wasn't what I was after but sometimes it's better to catch something rather than nothing.

Cam.
Agree , am surprised no Bream werent about :?

Shaneoooo

Post by Shaneoooo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:38 pm

What bait you boys using for the pinkies ? Chicken and pilchards ?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:25 pm

When I was a kid I used to fish around Bulla, upstream from Bulla and at Wild Wood. It was privately owned but they would let you on. Between Bulla and Wild Wood was top trout fishing using clear bubble floats half filled with water, small floats about half the size of a ping pong ball or a bit smaller. Big splashing floats spooked them too much, the small ones just made a small "plop" into the water. Used grasshoppers, mudeyes or crickets suspended about 8" below the float.
In winter when the water dirtied I would fish just below the fast run of water at the heads of the pools where the water just started to slack off using worms. Caught hundreds of trout there and at Wild Wood itself over those years. Up to 2 kg, all brownies. Never saw a rainbow back then in those waters though now they might stock them. Those areas see it flow through more gravelly and rocky areas with nice pools and plenty of shallow runs between them to generate oxygen in the pools. The trout thrived in those conditions. Id fish the overhangs of trees and bushes, near the bigger boulders or rocks in the pools or just below the inflow from the shallow runs into the deeper water in the pools. There is some A grade fishing in those spots I mentioned so if you can gain access like I did back in the 70's you will have some great trout fishing. I used to ride a pushbike there from Gladstone Park, go to the bottom of the hill at Bulla, turn right up the dirt track, might be a road these days, dont know, go to the end of the track and leave my pushy there and walk upstream for a couple of ks and fish all the way back. Did the same at Wild Wood too. Still to this day I fish for trout but never have I been on water that was as good as those places back then. No-one fished there other than me and a couple of mates, if anyone else did we never saw them. Those were magic days.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm

^^
Great to read , the memories of your trouting days . :clap:

<nick>

Post by <nick> » Mon May 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Been very slow the last 6 weeks my usual spot usually fires with carp and the odd Redfin , but last 3 times iv gone for my usual early morning sessions not even a bite .... Finding it very wierd ... Been fishing the spot for over 10 years and never had these issues

Anyone else doing it hard on the marybynong , freshwater wise?

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”