Tinny maiden voyage at the Warmies

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Sinsemilla

Tinny maiden voyage at the Warmies

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 pm

So I've been mucking around with my tinny the past couple weeks setting it up for saltwater fishing. I've been trying to sell it for a while and seeing as though i haven't had any interest i thought i might as well turn it into a little solo mission fishing machine.

I've replaced the fire extinguisher, put nav and anchor lights on it, replaced the torch with a new dolphin, put a little lowrance hook2 sounder on it and grabbed the flares out of my big boat. The plan is to get it all setup for fishing the bay on really calm days in close off Altona and Sorrento and do a bit of work around docklands and the rivers like the nong and yarra.

I launched from the warmies boat ramp and off i went heading towards docklands. The breeze was up a bit but i tried drifting along the walls and pylons heading to docklands around the westgate anyway. It was a very half ass attempt but i got a couple good drifts in and on my first cast throwing a Zman plastic i hooked up to a nice little salmon. I was over the moon because i didn't even expect to catch a thing as this was just a water test.

I setup to do the same drift again hoping for some more salmon. Two casts later and i hooked up again! This time it felt heavier and was pulling a bit of string. At first i thought a bigger salmon but i was pleasantly surprised when a cracker of a bream popped up! It went 40cm to the tip. A new PB!

The wind was being a pain to drift in so i continued on to docklands to see what was around. After sounding around a bit and flicking lures at the old boats that are being restored i went right in to middle pier. There was no wind so i had a nice little drift along middle pier for a couple hits but no hookups.

I moved closer to the Burke st side of docklands and sounder up what i thought was pinkies and i was spot on. I got a 45cm pinkie a couple casts later. It was getting a bit dark by this time and i wasn't 100% confident on coming back in the dark on my maiden voyage so i packed it up and headed back in.

All in all an awesome water test! I couldn't be happier with the way the little beast handled the water even when it chopped up a bit.

What i learnt is that i need a casting deck and an electric motor to do this kind of fishing efficiently so over the next week or so I'm going to install a flat casting deck with storage underneath on the front half of the boat and get a mate to weld up a bracket on the front for an electric motor. Probably something cheap like a watersnake or something.

Off to lake Purrumbete on Friday night to fish Saturday then I'm meeting up with the old man and his mate on Sunday to fish the Goulburn. Hopefully the fish keep rolling in!

Cheers, Anth
Attachments
20181001_143859.jpg

Sinsemilla

Re: Tinny maiden voyage at the Warmies

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:49 pm

And i must say.. This is the first selfie I've ever taken. I reckon i did alright hahah

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:14 am

Cracker report mate

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:25 am

Nice work mate.
Casting deck and telling motor will make lure fishing a lot better. Good luck with it all.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:25 am

Awesome!! Ive been tossing up the idea of fishing the docks area, maybe in November
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Kaspar

Post by Kaspar » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:43 am

Great report

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Top report Anth!
Sounds like you had a fun day out there and congrats on your new bream PB!
Looking forward to reading some more of these reports from the tinny in the future.
Cheers

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Good effort and sounds like you had a ball

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Great results from the maiden voyage well done

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Great work man! What an awesome first trip!
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”