Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Family friendly pier fishing

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 pm

dazz999 wrote:
PhilN wrote:Great - where? Is it a well known market?
i get it from southern sportsfishing brand is seaford bait
That’s one thing I have never bought from there. Pillies, pippies often but never silverfish. Are they good ones mate?

Lexdon

Post by Lexdon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 pm

No chance I'll be going for carp. I want to eat what I catch so I want to target one or two similar species.
It sounds like I'll need to take another bait on top of the pipis I have to have the best opportunity at catching something worthwhile. I'm leaning towards pilchards simply because I rarely fish so when I do go in winter I can use it for salmon or even snapper when the season hits peak again.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Should start catching plenty of bay trout soon. I just use a simple paternoster rig with small bits of chicken or white bait.

Lexdon

Post by Lexdon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 pm

So now I'm really confused. I went to buy some silverfish from the local tackle shop and told the staff that I intended to fish for gar. He told me there was pretty much no chance of catching any gar from any pier particularly not Altona. He suggested I go for pinkies, which I'd love to catch and eat but I'm concerned that my kids $12 kmart rods and no doubt light weight line can't handle anything that would be legal size. He also said there's no chance of catching whiting from a pier.

I've now got pilchards, pipis and squid with a plan to head to princess or station pier at 11am (an hour before high tide) and fish for pinkies. I'm told to use a 1/0 hook with a running light weight sinker.

I'm sure you guys are sick of me by now :-D

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:35 pm

What a load of crap.
Can catch them from peirs.

We catch size pinkies on 8lb braid and 3 to5kg rids in wp with current and 2oz sinkers.
What size are rods?
Last edited by smile0784 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Lexdon wrote:So now I'm really confused. I went to buy some silverfish from the local tackle shop and told the staff that I intended to fish for gar. He told me there was pretty much no chance of catching any gar from any pier particularly not Altona. He suggested I go for pinkies, which I'd love to catch and eat but I'm concerned that my kids $12 kmart rods and no doubt light weight line can't handle anything that would be legal size. He also said there's no chance of catching whiting from a pier.

I've now got pilchards, pipis and squid with a plan to head to princess or station pier at 11am (an hour before high tide) and fish for pinkies. I'm told to use a 1/0 hook with a running light weight sinker.

I'm sure you guys are sick of me by now :-D
What tackl shop is this mate? What a load of bull? No chance of catching Whiting from a pier? And can’t catch gars from Altona pier? Me and my mate have caught plenty of gars in shallow on the left hand side...

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Should get some flatties at princes or station pier around now. Squid and pillies on a 1/0 running sinker rig would be perfect for them

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 pm

gars not many around at the moment keep the silverfish in the freezer good news your got pilchards & squid for bait lots of flathead being caught everywhere

azkay

Post by azkay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 pm

i reckon the tackle shop wasn't far off. I get they can be caught and many have in the past, but i haven't a decent haul of gars or whiting of any of those piers recently (I frequent Port Melbourne/St Kilda Area weekly).. This time of the year i'd be fishing a simple light running sinker with pillies - in a SW Wind off any of the piers in that area and letting the kids have fun on the pinkies with Flathead as a common bycatch..
Az.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Old greek guy has been doing well off dromana pier this week on the gars. Ive seen him 3 times and each time hes had a good feed.
Using maggots under a float and berleying up.

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”