Williamstown/Port Melbsish Report 27/10

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
TheGreatestGoat

Williamstown/Port Melbsish Report 27/10

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 am

Hey All,

With the expected good weather yesterday morning I decided to head out for a pre work fish. Was on the water at 5 from warmies ramp and things were busy busy. Headed over to the footy ground area and it was like bourke street so ventured off further towards esplanade end and found some fish away from the crowds. Anchored and cut the engine but wasn't happy with my position so decided to move. Oh oh. Engine not starting. After a good hour of mucking around, discovered the safety clasp around the ignition had a crack and wasn't apply enough pressure. Crisis averted. Didn't get a rod in until 7 but was rewarded with a 50cm fish straight up which I released. The flatties kicked in and were actually a good size so I was actually quite pleased to get a feed as not that much of a fan of snapper to eat. Got a feed then moved on.

The T26 area was looking like it had seen a ghost, not a boat in sight so I thought I'd have a squizz there. Marked up a small Christmas tree, which is a first for me. Anchored right on top of them (thanks to my new anchor winch, which I reckon is the best investment i've ever made)

Sent out a spread of rods but decided to include a 2-4kg spin outfit with a snapper snatcher for sh*ts and giggles with half silver whitings on the circles. Well I reckon the rod was in the water all of 10 seconds before the light rod howled off. A barge was nearby and they were cheering on as they could see i had a real fight on my hands. Finally landed a 76cm fish. Unfortunately it had engulfed the circle whole which is unusual and I couldn't release the fish.

Then rods just started going off left right and centre. I couldn't keep up. Mainly pinkies around the 35cm mark but got another fish at 55cm. Missed another howling run and upon retrieving the rig the snapper had obviouisly grabbed it right up the top. The lumo was gone and the sinker was as flat as a pancake with teeth indentations.

Was easily the hottest session I've had off my own steam and thanks must go to many on here who gave me advice last season where I reckon I had about 30 donut trips, things seem to be shaping up this season!!

If I could share what I have learned so far with anyone that is just starting out (i'm by no means an expert but this is what i've found personally):
- Learn to use your sounder like the back of your hand. I went out for several practice trips and didn't take rods, just to learn
- Really be patient with your sounding. Get away from the crowds and persevere to find some fish. It might mean 1 hour less fishing time, but it can mean the difference between getting a fish and going home empty handed
- One critical thing i think that is often overlooked is how important anchoring is. Positioning your boat as near as possible to the mark, taking into account wind and tide to ensure your baits are getting to where the fish are. Again, I went out a few times just to practice anchoring the boat. Still not amazing but getting better every time

Not sure which is uglier, the fish or me... ;-) ;-)

Little vid of the mayhem (NSFW, plenty of swearing): https://youtu.be/FGav9BhoqJY

Cheers,
Goat

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Williamstown/Port Melbsish Report 27/10

Post by Lightningx » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:02 am

Sounds like you had a great session and was worth going before work! Well done. Nice catch :thumbsup:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:04 am

Thats a great report mate. Id be very happy marking fish on my own and getting creamed straight after. Well done on the good fish as well thats a cracker on a whiting rod to boot.
Cheers

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:16 am

Good work

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 am

F&!king off it's head sums it up. Nice session

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:58 am

cobby wrote:F&!king off it's head sums it up. Nice session
X2
:rofl: ...love your style Cob!

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Great to hear you've put in the effort to learn your gear, and as you can see the rewards are certainly there. Some great advice there (some of which sounds quite familiar ;) )

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Great fish ..well done.

I need more patience when sounding ....

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Great session

dazz999