Seeking that work-life balance

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Seeking that work-life balance

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:29 am

I bring Happy and SAD news.
I have continued my post work haunting of Albert park lake , the fishing has been sporadic.
What has been consistent however , is the rising number of unsavoury individuals baitfishing for EP and Trout . Keeping a large number of undersized fish , bleeding them . Creating a general mess.
Its thoroughly disappointing that under sized fish are being taken when they are being introduced to promote the prospects of an urban angler.
This kind of behavior is what is going to make it really difficult for anglers to fish in public spaces, especially where bird lovers and joggers roam. I am all three and I find it intolerable .
I am non-confrontational by nature but will be calling fisheries henceforth. I really don't know what possess someone to eat fish out of that lake though. the water quality is questionable.

What however is not questionable is the rewards for doing the hard yards land based.These are smart fish and there is more than one. They present a very good target for those like me are not blessed with a boat or a 4 wd (1 of those things will change this year) and who hope to catch a trophy sized native within an urban realm.

I present to you my new PB. 57 cms and an absolute tank.
Golden Perch.jpeg

Pleased as punch. That's up on the wall. Now time to chase some bream.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:40 am

That's awesome mate especially in the middle of the CBD what a horse :a_goodjob:
Ive seen what you mentioned first hand not long ago guys keeping rainbow trout that were lucky to be pushing 20cm I know there still is no size limit on trout in Victoria yet but for f##ks sake that is just ridiculous. :down:

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:57 am

Marty.A wrote:That's awesome mate especially in the middle of the CBD what a horse :a_goodjob:
Ive seen what you mentioned first hand not long ago guys keeping rainbow trout that were lucky to be pushing 20cm I know there still is no size limit on trout in Victoria yet but for f##ks sake that is just ridiculous. :down:

Exactly! Especially feel bad for the newly stocked EP and Yella's they arent gonna stand a chance if people keep hammering the lake like they are currently. Thankfully its a large body of water.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Bloody hell mate! What a fish! You deserve it. Well done :thumbsup:

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Lightningx wrote:Bloody hell mate! What a fish! You deserve it. Well done :thumbsup:

Cheers mate :) :-D

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Awesome catch! What did you catch it on?

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 pm

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 am

fishing_minnow wrote:Have you tried these lures??? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kokoda-Dinku ... SwtfhYnGzk

I havent actually! that might be in option to have handy.

This warm week coming up should be good, starting my spring time frustrations in earnest.
WIll keep this thread updated as and when the Fishies show up!

Tight lInes everybody! :banana: :water:

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:18 am

Mid Season Update - Albert Park Lake

Been catching a decent number of fish this season. The first couple of weeks of November before the rains came down were pretty spectacular.
Majority of Yella's have been in the at 35 cm bracket.
That being said, I caught a 53cm and 60cm on the same day.
The 60cm was an old lean fish, that had seen better times. Probably from one of the initial stockings, my new PB (length measurement), but about 6 lbs lighter than some of the 50's I have caught in the past.
2017-11-29_10h11_56.png
This 53 in the picture below was in fantastic condition and put up a great scrap.
2017-11-29_10h11_09.png

The Estuary Perch fishing has taken an upswing , they hit like Barra on surface lures, Biggest I have seen caught was a 42cm fish.

It is still Lake Disappointment for the most part , takes heaps of time and experimentation to work out.
The water clarity, air pressure and temperature have different species of fish schooling up at different parts.
I think I cracked the puzzle one day, and then the next day my idea is smashed to bits.
The only thing that is consistent , is hope and inconsistency. In equal measure!

Also, the carp arent averse to hitting lures in there, caught them on blades, vibes and even hard bodies. Feel like a 70cm yella when you hook em LMAO

:cheers:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:31 am

smokin_reels wrote:I bring Happy and SAD news.
I have continued my post work haunting of Albert park lake , the fishing has been sporadic.
What has been consistent however , is the rising number of unsavoury individuals baitfishing for EP and Trout . Keeping a large number of undersized fish , bleeding them . Creating a general mess.
Its thoroughly disappointing that under sized fish are being taken when they are being introduced to promote the prospects of an urban angler.
This kind of behavior is what is going to make it really difficult for anglers to fish in public spaces, especially where bird lovers and joggers roam. I am all three and I find it intolerable .
I am non-confrontational by nature but will be calling fisheries henceforth. I really don't know what possess someone to eat fish out of that lake though. the water quality is questionable.

What however is not questionable is the rewards for doing the hard yards land based.These are smart fish and there is more than one. They present a very good target for those like me are not blessed with a boat or a 4 wd (1 of those things will change this year) and who hope to catch a trophy sized native within an urban realm.

I present to you my new PB. 57 cms and an absolute tank.
Golden Perch.jpeg

Pleased as punch. That's up on the wall. Now time to chase some bream.
Hell of a fish mate. Well done

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”