King George Whiting

Docklands, Southbank, Yarra River Area, The Warmies, Newport, Maribyrnong River
Chissy

King George Whiting

Post by Chissy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:57 am

Hello Guys,

I was after some advice... I haven't yet got a KG after being out a few times chasing them and I was wondering where you need to go to get them.

I launch at Newport and have tried around Willy but with no luck any advice on where to go would be awesome.

Thanks.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: King George Whiting

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:10 am

Try Campbells Cove, no idea if they're still around though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:33 am

Plenty still going around Werribee, Pt.Cook and Altona. If you don't know how to find them just launch at Werribee and anchor where all the other boats are and you should be able to see the weed and sand patches in the area your looking for, don't get too close to the other boats. I would not normally give you that advice but everyone else does it so can't see why you shouldn't, good luck but Newport is not the ideal location to look for them

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi mate, you can try Werribee south or point cook area for whiting, although they have slowed down a lot, I've been going for pinkies now, most guys out there are going for pinkies and squid atm, should have another good run of whiting soon tho, getting plenty of good size pinkies at willy and Altona, have a go at the pinkies if the whiting don't want to play the game. Good luck mate!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Im not sure about that side of town, but there are plenty still going in WPB. Keep moving until you find them. If you dont get a bite in 20-30 mins, move again until you find them. Generally once u find a school you can catch quite a few.

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:59 pm

if lunching newport snapper old princess pier but as everyone elise said pt cook to werribee is best bet or even to avalon

Chissy

Post by Chissy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks guys for your advice. I will go and try Werribee and Point Cook tomorrow morning and see how I go.
Awesome to have genuine responses. Good forum.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Scraglor wrote:Im not sure about that side of town, but there are plenty still going in WPB. Keep moving until you find them. If you dont get a bite in 20-30 mins, move again until you find them. Generally once u find a school you can catch quite a few.
Top advice Scrags, I would add, if you drop a fish, move, 'cos the buggers spook so easily..a dropped fish usually results in the school scattering or moving away quickly..

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Chissy ,Water movement is important as well.Look for sandy patches. amongst the weedy areas and anchor your boat to lay back toward the patch within easy casting distance.Cast into the sandy area.Best time is hour or so either side of the tide change. Ideal is wind and tide running together i.e.same direction.Berley mushed bread and/or pellets.
Get yourself set up in the right position before tide Change and allow for the boat to swing into the spot as the water goes about,a few practice runs and you will get the hang of it.
Much better to work on this than "chuck and hope"
Good luck
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:04 pm

CarlG wrote:
Scraglor wrote:Im not sure about that side of town, but there are plenty still going in WPB. Keep moving until you find them. If you dont get a bite in 20-30 mins, move again until you find them. Generally once u find a school you can catch quite a few.
Top advice Scrags, I would add, if you drop a fish, move, 'cos the buggers spook so easily..a dropped fish usually results in the school scattering or moving away quickly..
I didn't know that either. Will remember for next time :thumbsup:

Return to “Melbourne CBD & Docklands area”