how do you turn on Bream?

Everything about bream
Need-to-fish

Post by Need-to-fish » Fri May 02, 2014 9:42 am

good day all, I went to my my favorite bream spot last week in Williamstown area on a rising tide to fish some SP in the shallows.
It was one of those days where didn't matter what I did, or what sp I used nothing helped :wall:
I tried normal jig heads, splitshotting, adding scent, unweighted paddle tails, grubs , prawns and jerk baits but no luck .
Heaps of bites from the small fish but bream didn't even bother having a look.
Even more frustrating is seeing several + 35cm fish slowly swimming past me unintrested. :angryfire:

Does anybody have a suggestion to get them on the chew.
thanks Tim

Milk man

Re: how do you turn on Bream?

Post by Milk man » Fri May 02, 2014 10:11 am

How to turn on bream.... Candles, some smelly stuff, maybe run a hot bath and some soft music usually does the trick lol.. Other than that I can't really help mate
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri May 02, 2014 10:18 am

Milk man wrote:How to turn on bream.... Candles, some smelly stuff, maybe run a hot bath and some soft music usually does the trick lol.. Other than that I can't really help mate

You forgot the Oysters milkman ! no romantic evening is complete without Oysters ! :rofl:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Fri May 02, 2014 10:25 am

Slow things down. Black bream love to take on the pause. If fishing SP don't be afraid to deadstick it on the bottom. Wait til it hurts then wait longer.

Try different retrieves - lift and pause, slow roll, slow roll with twitches and pauses.

I've had good success with cranka crabs in the shallows so worth a try.

Other than that sometimes the bite is just shut down. I usually keep moving until I find bream who want to play. Locations that offer a variety of different structure in easy walking distance give you the most options

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 02, 2014 10:49 am

they are a ba$tard of a fish to catch on lures. slowing it down as mentioned is probably what i would do. also try some of the cranka crabs as mentioned, they seem to be doing some damage lately.

Need-to-fish

Post by Need-to-fish » Fri May 02, 2014 10:50 am

If it was only that easy milkman.

Thanks Sloth I think that you are right, maybe I should be pausing my retrives longer.

I have been looking from cranka crabs but cannot locate any in the western suburbs. evidently as soon as they are put on the shelves they are sold.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri May 02, 2014 10:57 am

If you see them and they see you, pack up and head home. Otherwise as above dead stick. Leave for around 20 seconds,then the tiniest of twitches to make the sp jiggle a few cm and leave again for a while and repeat. At first any fish that was curious will be spooked, but will come back fairly quickly. Within 1 or 2 more long pauses they take in most cases

Need-to-fish

Post by Need-to-fish » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm

cobby wrote:If you see them and they see you, pack up and head home. Otherwise as above dead stick. Leave for around 20 seconds,then the tiniest of twitches to make the sp jiggle a few cm and leave again for a while and repeat. At first any fish that was curious will be spooked, but will come back fairly quickly. Within 1 or 2 more long pauses they take in most cases
Thanks you are right as the water is only a few feet deep it doesn't take much to spook them ( i have learnt that the hard way) but I have noticed if I stay put and not move around too much they don't notice me.
it does sound like long pauses will be the way to go.

andyk

Post by andyk » Fri May 02, 2014 3:00 pm

Ask for a bream switch at the tackle shop that should turn them on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Fri May 02, 2014 3:32 pm

A little bit of Burley is all you need

Return to “Bream Fishing”