Wanna catch first bream

Everything about bream
morgz86

Wanna catch first bream

Post by morgz86 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi guys new to the site and fishing lately haven't really had my luck lately but I would really love to get my first bream have been down the werribee river and seen some monsters but haven't been able to hook any using prawns worms even tried chicken Brest still no love can anyone give me some suggestions ie tides places that are maybe easier baits and rigs any help would be appreciated

aussie_fisho

Re: Wanna catch first bream

Post by aussie_fisho » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:52 pm

While down at Williamstown last week, I happened to travel up river and dock at docklands as I was tying up the boat , I spotted some big bream feeding off the floating pontoon, anyway it is worth a shot walking around the pontoons looking for bream, light leader was the key to getting a bite and the right bait, I only had my soft plastic pack and no bait so I ended up pulling mussels off the pontoon and using them for bait, 1/0 black magic circle hooks or something smaller would be good and make sure the fish really has it as if you miss me the school will spook.
Here fishy fishy.......

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:54 pm

If you want to catch a bream in the werribee river you have to use live tube worms

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Fishsniper wrote:If you want to catch a bream in the werribee river you have to use live tube worms
And mussels will do quite well too.

You can use running sinker or paternoster. Both work fine.
High tide at night is the best. Look up the tides for Werribee South and plan your trips around that. All my fish have been caught at dusk/night.
I fish the jetty quite a bit. Pulled out a 31cm bream the other night.
Hang in there - you'll get one sooner or later.
Last edited by Ploh on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggar

Post by biggar » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Give a river down the coast a crack mate
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:29 pm

If you're hitting docklands then strike pro micro vibe works well.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:31 pm

no they dont! always donuts on micro vibes at the docks!! :tongue:

try bread, or a mixture of bread and cheese in a dough.

but yeah, on a serious note, micro vibes work if you know how to use them. but if you don't (like me) you'll just be watching those horses swim up to your vibe, give it a good long stare and then swim off. Which leads me to my question, what am I doing wrong??

Same leader, same line will get hookups on bait in the same place that I dropped a micro vibe minutes earlier. I'm using 15lb braid attached to about 1m of 12lb leader (just mono, it's worked out for me in lakes entrance), a strike pro micro vibe in the dark brown colour (154RG), some black one, and a silverish one which have all worked on bream before, dropping the lure straight down with plenty of slack line out watching for it to move faster or stop sinking. Nada. Zilch. Also tried just dropping the lure without any slack line and the bail arm of the reel open, also no go.

In short, try bait first if you have never caught one because your chances are much higher (in my opinion anyway). If you can get your hands on yabbies (bass yabbies or freshwater yabbies) they work the best, next is fresh mussels, bread, banana prawn. Chicken works too but I find they don't like it as much.

sloth

Wanna catch first bream

Post by sloth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:49 am

Ahh .... Main difference I can see is that I go lighter ..I use either:

5lb fluorocarbon straight through

Or

8lb Super PE and 4m of 6lb fluorocarbon leader. I pack 2, 4, 6 and 8lb fc leader. Start at 6 and adjust as needed. Rarely go to 2 at docks. Have most hits on the straight through fc but I think that's probably just because I use that reel more often.

Drop it on an open bail with controlled slack. Most hits on the drop. If it hits bottom couple of hops. Retrieve slowly (burn it up and you'll spook bream for miles). Try another drop and if no hits move to next pylon.

Certainly not guaranteed though and donuts are not uncommon. Micro vibe is usually the lure that works for me although worm type soft plastics near or on the bottom have produced bream and flathead too.

Surprised me but micros can tempt other than bream:

I do concede though people seem to do better on bait and I've tried unweighted bread myself and the first time I tried it, I got an undersized breambino.

Try both :) They are fickle fish. What works one day doesn't the next and you have to figure out what they want today - that's why I love bream fishing :)

Good luck!
Last edited by sloth on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

sloth

Wanna catch first bream

Post by sloth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:54 am

Oh ... And if you're sticking to werribee then take note of Ploh's advice he's had success down there.... won't be the place for a micro I'd guess - they work best around lots of vertical structure.

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 am

Oh and as for seeing monsters. In my experience if you can see them they've seen you and you can throw any lure or bait you like at them but your chance of hooking up is practically zero.

Stay out of sight if you can. It's always tempting but try not to peer over the edge of jetties/pontoons etc. Just gently lower your bait/lure over the edge with minimum fuss.

I'll shut up now. :)

Return to “Bream Fishing”