Is 3" SP too big for breams?

Everything about bream
Denada

Is 3" SP too big for breams?

Post by Denada » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi everyone!

I've just returned to Melbourne about a week ago and have gotten back into fishing (not just squidding this time!) I manage to score two 40cm flatheads in williamstown at around 9 pm last friday night, I used z man 3" minnow + some prehooked squidgies (1 flatty from each), but that was it! I heard there are also bream there, but am wondering if a 3" is too big for bream? I've totally given up on HB/blades atm... snagging a hb is like losing a whole pack of 8 - 10 SP and I don't have that kind of money to blow atm :P so yeah any help would be appreciated, Do I use the same method on breams as for flatties? Cast and retrieve super slow to keep it @ the bottom.

Thanks in advance!

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: Is 3" SP too big for breams?

Post by eddyt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 am

3" will catch bream for sure. I find grubs and worm patterns the best and I've caught many undersize bream even on a 3" grub. The hookup rate is lower on the smaller ones though.

There's quite a few different retrieves out there, but I find the best is to just let it sink to the bottom, give it a twitch or two, and long long pauses with an occasional slow roll. If that makes sense. Sometimes just the slow roll will do it, and you will usually feel the bream nibble, or a long lift of the rod. Just mix it up until something gets you bites. Occasionally they'll just grab it and pull but that doesn't happen much. You'll also need to watch your line as your SP is sinking after a twitch or pull, because quite often your line will just go slack when the bream grabs your lure.

Denada

Re: Is 3" SP too big for breams?

Post by Denada » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:56 am

hey thanks, that was another question I wanted to ask, when I caught those flatties, as hard as I tried to concentrate I kept forgetting what the bite was like, there was so much WEED over at Williamstown, and the two SP I was using were both paddlers, so when I slow retrieve you can already feel some tension coming just from the SP itself ( similar to blades' vibration) if you get what I mean, I don't think neither flatty striked it hard, it was just grab and deadweight it and thats when I striked and landed it, It was really hard to tell , cos there was ALOT of weed (10/10 retreieve will come back with hard tension sack of weed) but I guess that means there's fish huh, I don't really wanna go and buy another pack of grubs, cos I have these cheapo ones and they look exactly like the ones I see on the better brand in bcf, but have failed to get anything when i was in hk, maybe I'll try them nxt time in vic C:

Thanks

Return to “Bream Fishing”