why do bream spook

Everything about bream
complete-anglerz-12

why do bream spook

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

was at the docklands yesterday and under where i was fishing could see a school of bream big and small, but i would cast lure of plastic they would flee then return also would not touch any bait sinker less peeled prawn chicken i also tryed squid. has anyone else had this problem with bream seeing and not catching them
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: why do bream spook

Post by re-tyred » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:18 am

Many thousands of fish in the water that won't take a bait. Just somedays you can see them because of the water conditions. There will be a time of day they feed but then they probably move from there to go for a feed. If there is plenty of food in the water they get very hard to catch.
As far as spooking that is pretty typical of bream they are a very cautious fish. If you are bream fishing on a boat you keep a rubber bat to beat any one who makes a noise. :) ....
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 pm

true ill agree their got a bit angry i could see the target and not catch, could not get a mullet for my next wbp trip they make great gummy bait
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 am

I have no idea about Bream but something I follow when fishing freshwater is to use the lightest line possible. Small lures may do the trick or bait with minimal weight. Things you have probably already tried. Or as re-tyred has stated, if the fish are 'off', then nothing may work!
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:15 am

agree with Rod Bender
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:43 pm

mmmmm maybe it's got something to do with their very slow growth rate.

Maybe they are super smart and just avoid anything not "normal".

As for the ones that do get caught, well maybe they have just come back from the pub and are off their game. :icon_lolz: :bounce: :bounce: :fish7: :fish7:

Amanda

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:55 pm

As mentioned , when they bite , they're on , and sometimes they just don't bite. I think most fish get spooked when near the surface a bit when something comes in from the waters surface, could be a bird or predator of some kind ? , yet when fishing in gippland along 'the rough road, tambo river' , everytime a boat passes the Bream bite ! , true , and has been like this for years.
Myself and my woman see a boat coming, both say ' here we go' , and we're on. Passing boats don't seem to spook the bream around there , it sets them off !, maybe the boat engine churns up the bottom a bit releasing food ?. Still got us stumped to this day , but happens EVERY time ! . True !.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

vxcalais
Has liked: 3 times

Post by vxcalais » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:13 pm

complete-anglerz-12 wrote:was at the docklands yesterday and under where i was fishing could see a school of bream big and small, but i would cast lure of plastic they would flee then return also would not touch any bait sinker less peeled prawn chicken i also tryed squid. has anyone else had this problem with bream seeing and not catching them

Yeah, tell me about it. Had a good session few weeks ago, and since then, they have just spooked. Will not take bait or lures. Mulloway still around or salmon moving into area as baitfish jumping out of the water last night. But yeah, Bream have come up really shallow but will turn away from most lures.

They will investigate a lure as it falls at the docks, but the moment u jig it up and it bibes they run. I hooked one on a squidgy flickbait but pulled it out of its mouth.

There is something in the area scaring them, either the cormorants, or they may have just finished breeding..........

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 am

I've seen a tonne of HUGE bream hanging around pier pylons (especialy painsville pier near bairnsdale), late night allways on a full moon. They won't bite for the life of ya' , and yeah these bream at this time do spook easily.
Never in 20+ years have i ever once caught these 'HUGE' bream hanging aroud the pier pylons on a full moon night on a rod, it's like they go dormant/dosile !.
But i have scooped a few up with my landing net ! :D (around 40cm + , bigger bream than any i have landed on a rod in whole life !).
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

5ubzero

Post by 5ubzero » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 am

i had this problem, i could see bream 40cm long and 100s of 20-30cm at docklands under me. I droped every bait unweighed and weighted infront of them, and they would just go right pass it and eat the muscles off the pylons.

Return to “Bream Fishing”