narrawong beach fishing

Everything about bream
codman52

narrawong beach fishing

Post by codman52 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi all, i am heading to Narrawong on the weekend for a nice relaxing week of fishing with the family and friends. Staying at the Narrawong caravan park (which is a excellent place to stay) so i have access to the beach for a bit of surf fishing.

Just wondering if anyone has heard how they are biting along there and maybe a hot tip as to where to fish from the beach. Have tried a few times but not much luck.

Many thanks.

Linc

Re: narrawong beach fishing

Post by Linc » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:29 pm

My parents are down that way, they caught some nice bream near the mouth in the surf recently and also some good solid mullet down to the right. My advice would be to throw in one heavier surf rod and let it soak while you wade out and cast a lighter rod with a light paternoster rig for the mullet/bream and possibly salmon.

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

G'day Codman,

Narrawong's a great spot. Head across the pontoon bridge from the caravan park, when you hit the beach turn left and head down about 150-200 metres.

Try running sinker rigs for Gummys or Mulloway, berley up heaps and the Whiting might come out to play or if conditions allow (Northerly Winds) send out squid strips under a float and the Kingies just may like what they see.

Let us know how you go!

Cheers,

Cam.

codman52

Post by codman52 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks linc, will give that a go. I know where you mean. I usually head the other way. Was also thinking of trying snapper point down a bit further from the mouth. Let me know how they get on if you wouldn't mind.

Cheers. Happy fishing.

codman52

Post by codman52 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:37 pm

No worries SFP Guy, my mate and I fished around that area last year but maybe we didn't go far enough. We usually go in the morning. Is the morning or evening better?
Thanks.

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 pm

I prefer evenings/nights but depends on tides, weather etc and how many Bundys I had the night before!

Cam.

codman52

Post by codman52 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 am

Hi all, here is my report from the trip.
We had a week of great weather which made for a great week of fishing, swimming and drinking. I spent the week with my brother in law's family and our great mate Yabbyman.
After camp was all set up we organised the first morning to try the surf. We managed only one bream of about 35 cm. We tried squid and pilchard but had no other touches. Even tho we only managed only 1 I still think it is the best time of day to be up and about.

The next few mornings we had off and spent time with the family's. We were lucky enough that Yabbyman had managed to get of a site right on the river so most nights were spent there fishing in the surry while the kids were at the nightly movie.
One night we decide to hold a bit of comp and get the kids involved. After there movie was finished we set them up and the comp was on. We were using whole blue bait flicked out on a hook no sinker. This was the best method. Most of the bream would hook themselves so it was great for the kids.
Between us we managed to hook about 30. The bream ranged from 23cm to 26cm. My daughter managed to land 1 31 cm which went in the keeper.
We tried a different rig of having a smaller size hook free running above our main hook. 9 out of 10 times we found that the fish was actually caught on this hook.
Next time your out somewhere and are having trouble hooking them, give this a go and c what happens.

During the day there are thousand of little ones biting, which are bait wasters, but it is good to see so many around for the future.
While fishing we managed to catch a few small mullet which we put in our keeper bucket and put the airrator on to keep them alive as we had decided to head to the Portland Lee break wall early Thursday morning.
Myself, Yabbyman and Ian (brother in law) woke at 4.30 and loaded up and took the 15-20min trek in and secured our spot. We had live mullet, blue bait and some squid.
We all selected our spots and all hooked on a mullet and gave it a shot. Unfortunately we had no luck on the mullet after about an hour. Yabbyman and myself decided to throw a hole blue bait on and give it a go. By this time it was around 6.30 and the morning light was upon us. After about 15 min, bang, Yabbyman man had managed to snare himself a nice 40 cm king George. Soon after that I hooked into something, another nice whiting of 35 cm. From then on I had a great morning, hooking 3 pinkies, 1 just size flathead and a couta, which was released.
Ian ended up with a size flathead and hooked 2 couta.
We had numerous bites till about 9am and then went quiet.
Most of the fish were caught on blue bait, however I did manage to catch one of the pinkies on a mullet fillet. We had another few hits on the mullet fillet but were unable to hook up.
We were fishing about 3/4 the way along the break wall past the tugs. The most effective way I found was to cast out as far as I could and hold the line and let it come back in and land. I hardly had time to put the rod down and I was getting bites.

This was a very enjoyable morning and a great feed between the 3 camps was had that night.
All in all it was a great week away with great friends and family. We have pre booked our sites for next year already as it is a very popular place.

Will attempt to upload some photos for all to see. Cheers.

Linc

Post by Linc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 am

Great report codman, sounds like a fantastic trip.

A tip for the breakwater, next time you catch a couta there, cut it up for fresh strip bait, it works a treat on many species there - especially snapper/pinkies.

codman52

Post by codman52 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks Linc, we did try a bit of couta and my mate had a big hit on it but missed.

This would have to be one of the best sites for getting tips and places on fishing. Everyone gives detailed reports and are not afraid to share there fishing tips.

Cheers.
Trying to upload some photos, so stay tuned.

codman52

Post by codman52 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi all, here is an attempt to upload photos from my narrawong trip in jan.

cheers.
Attachments
narra fish 3.jpg
The whole catch
narra fish 3.jpg (19.18 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
narra fish 2.jpg
Whiting
narra fish 2.jpg (18.26 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
narra fish 1.jpg
The whole catch 2
narra fish 1.jpg (18.06 KiB) Viewed 3296 times

Return to “Bream Fishing”