Patterson river for bream

Everything about bream
rixter

Re: Patterson river for bream

Post by rixter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 pm

I have fished 'Patto' for years, the best bait you will get is on the sandy beach side - opposite the small pier , houses on that side. Sandworm by the thousands 'bait pumping' that tiny beach, then head anywhere from the mouth of the cove gates right up the creek to where they race the boats in the lake along dandy/frankson rd. Plenty of bream and other fish, accessable by walking your way up from the gates , or walk your way down from dandy/frankston rd. boat racing lake. The local fresh sandworm works great. Cheers.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Linc

Post by Linc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:33 am

Turn off Mcleod road onto Launching Way and it takes you down to the boat ramps with plenty of car parks (usually).

DMAN NZ

Post by DMAN NZ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:16 pm

I just fished Patterson River today, from the opposite side from where the boats ramps are, half way up from the bridge. Had 3 nice size bream out today - ALL taken on bread. No interest on worms, maggots, prawns..

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Has anyone tried pumping some worms yet, on the tiny beach opposite side of the river where the boat launchng ramp is ?. This was always , and speaking to mates recently still down that way / still is - a great spot for pumping sandworms. What they have told me is that no matter what the tide , you have to be there early just before / or as the sun is breaking, apparently the sun/heat drives the worms back deep into the sand again (changed a tad since i lived and worked out that way , was always due to the tide back then ! ) . My mates use an old car tyre innertube inflated with like a gold minners pan jammed in the middle of the car tube. They tie a rope to it and themselfs , letting the tube float around in the shallows while they pump the sand into the siv/pan, seperating the sand from the worms. These guys , 1 in particular/ never uses a bought sandworm pump , they use their own homemade pvc pumps same as they use on their hire boats to pump the water out of the bilges ! .
Note: That info is from a best mate of mine who has lived/ fished / and worked on boats in the Mordialloc are all of his life ( 40 years ) . Cheers.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

Jurppa

Post by Jurppa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 am

Hey sorry for the reply! Sounds like great advice :) and you caugh fish there! nice one! I had nearly given up on their, not hearing any good success. Couple questions:
1) what time of day did you catch the fish dman nz?
2) if you catch your own bait the sandstorms and you take to many can you keep them alive? Of will they survive if you jus release them back?
3) how do you use bread?

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Lucky to keep live sandworm alive more than around a day realy, you can keep them longer by changing the sand,paper and box you keep them in ( kept in a fridge ). I usualy just pump what i need for the day , fresh is allways best. Once they are in the air and sun for a while they fall apart.
You can wrap them in absorbant paper, drain the excess water from them, and bag them in plastic and freeze them, like the big single worms you can buy frozen ( even frozen they still bend but are rubbery ). Personaly i don't bother with this, usualy bait pumping at low tide will allways produce enough bait for a good days fishing. Look for the small holes everywhere in the sand , have the handle all the way down , as you push the pump into the sand pull the handle as you drop the pump. After a while and practice you can pump around 30 pumps per minute, producing heaps of bait. The floating tyre with a siv insert is a must imo, to be able to pump heaps fast and let the siv do all the work sorting out the bait from the sand, cheers Rick , GL.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:17 pm

i had been going there alot recently over the last 2 months, had some mild success. Caught many undersized Bream, and a couple decent sized 30cm bream, they are definately there... using mainly prawns, the Sandworms tended to attract too many toadies.. Running sinker + 3ft light line from swivel to size 2 or 4 long shank hook. Nearly lost my rod into the drink many times because a Bream has pulled it in, fishing usually up on the gravel near the last ramp.

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:59 am

Fish the pontoons and mored boats.
Strike pro micro vibes are dianamite ( strikepro rep lives in the patto estate)
I go there bout every 2-3 weeks on the yak.
If u (anyone) wants grab a cheap inflatable boat and ill tow ya in and around, I got a spare life jacket.
I do the same with my mrs when in gippy. Bemm river, lake tyres etc and that with a 14ft inflatable.

clownface

Post by clownface » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 am

only thing i seem to pick up at patterson river is a whole lot of toadies and mullet :(

Jurppa

Post by Jurppa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey sorry forthe reply late again! Currently in Europe.
Drifta-x when I get back might take you up on the offer or buy a yak myself and meet up or something?
Hope you are all catching fish and if not having fun!
P.s thanks for the help everyone, when I get back first weekend I'm going out fishing.

Return to “Bream Fishing”