Bream on Flies?

Everything about bream
Bugalugs

Re: Bream on Flies?

Post by Bugalugs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Oh - and we weren't the only ones not catching much - everybody we talked to said it was very very quiet.
I did think about getting dropped off and fishing the edges by myself, but the conditions and circumstances just didn't work out. Also the fact we were fishing for our annual trophy where every fish is recorded in a book for points etc etc.
Might plan a solo trip to try the fly gear and give it red hot go by myself.
Thanks for the links guys - I'll check them out over the next few days
Cheers
Neil

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:13 pm

The entrance is open at bemm right? Surprised it's fishing poorly atm, as all the other Gippsland lakes have been poor but I thought that was mainly due to the entrance being closed for so long.

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:48 pm

Nope - The entrance is closed - has been for many months. There has been little rain in the catchment area to flow through and open the entrance naturally. I don't know what level it has to reach before it can be legally opened by the locals. They dig it out by hand these days (I think) - as blasting by dynamite apparently has some sort of O,H & S issues (geez, I can't see why???)
It's a really strange time for them down there as entrances aren't opening as they normally do which restricts the juvenile prawns from entering the system and growing and therefore there's no prawn season. Hopefully Mother Nature can sort it all out and things get back to a bit or normality.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:15 pm

It was open few months ago and was fishing extremely well..
It's good you have something cool going down with your mates every year...
Bemm can certainly be a hit and miss. Ive donutted there and also had some cracking sessions...

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:22 pm

I think the entrance was last open in August, so it's been a while. The wind was a real pain in the butt and it was still blowing a week later as I spoke to a guy who went there after us and he said the same thing.
Yes, it's an awesome thing the 3 of us have going with our fishing trips, and also with our mateship in general. We might not see each other for months or even a year, but when we catch up it's like we only spoke to each other last week, and our trip each year is the thing we value very very very much. Been doing it for well over 20 years now and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Return to “Bream Fishing”