M9085

Re: Midlife crisis?? Advice needed.

Post by M9085 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:45 pm

smile0784 wrote:I think i have a 2500, a 4000 amd a 5000
2500 would do me, we'll talk soon

M9085

Post by M9085 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:51 pm

piscateur wrote:I am no expert in bream fishing and even further from adequate in bream comp fishing. I do however totally understand your mid-life crisis, choosing something that’s challenging and not achievable easily is a great journey to play out. It is a decent mountain to climb so enjoy every step.
Bream fishing during comp situations isn't as easy as most "experts" make it out to be. You see plenty of donuts from anglers who thought they were good enough to compete, even the season pros will occasionally donut. There's a reason why it’s always the usual suspects at the pointy end of these comps. You don't get there by luck.
As an entry point I would try the ABT tournaments as a non boater. If you’re lucky enough to be paired with a good fisho you'll see what is required to be competitive. You will notice the really good guys have pinpoint accuracy and generally know what to throw. Accuracy in certain situations is paramount as it would mean getting a take or spooking the quarry. There are no wasted cast in the way they go about business.
As for rod choice it’s hard to have a wiggle at the shop and determine whether it’s good or not. Some will feel awesome in hand but translate to poo in use. The rods I use are slow to med at best but are super responsive and I feel everything. I have had a superfast megabass kirasame rod that I couldn't feel the lure vibrating like I do with my slow rods. The kirasame was like a quivertip where the flexi tip was more like a quiver tip rod and absorbed all the lure’s action.
Note fast action does not equal stiffer or more sensitive, it’s just the way the rod bends. As for recommendations I don’t really have any as I haven’t shopped for a bream rod in years, most of my quiver (Loomis GLX) are 30 year old designs and to me they still hold their own to today’s offerings.
You will spend a shizen load on tackle, not counting the rods you will buy, lures cost a bomb as well.
As a minimum:- Standard Minnows, Slender Minnows, Chubby style cranks, deep diving crank/minnows, blades, LCB, Cranka crabs, and soft plastics.
I wish you luck on your new adventure, ignore the naysayers that will put down bream fishing, there will always be peeps that will say any sort of fishing is below them (just human nature I guess). There will be big game fisho that say chasing mulloway is entry level sh*t, and fly fishos that will turn their nose up and other fly fishos that use artificial material in their flies etc etc. Every form of fishing has its challenges, I love fishing in all its forms whether it be soaking bread for bream, fly fishing to wary enzed trout, or popping for GTs and every other form of fishing I’ve been lucky enough to try.
thanks mate now that I have the stick reel next and then the lures.... that will be a real challenge. so many types, colours.....

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 am

M9085 wrote:
smile0784 wrote:I think i have a 2500, a 4000 amd a 5000
2500 would do me, we'll talk soon
No problems mate

Return to “Bream Fishing”