Bream Lures for Dummies.

Everything about bream
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Bream Lures for Dummies.

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 am

So we have a few avid bream fishos here I haven't done any serious lure fishing for these fish. So was wondering what lures would you guys recommend and how do you work them for a bream fisho novice?

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Bream Lures for Dummies.

Post by Windknot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:29 am

My favourite bream lures are - Daiwa Double Clutch 60mm SP , OSP Bent Minnow 76mm, Jackall Colt Minnow 65mm SP, Cranka Crank shallow, Zipbaits Khamsin Tiny shallow and deep and Jackall Chubby Minnow 35mm in both shallow and deep.

I pretty much work all my bibbed lures in the same way. I cast them to likely looking places and I very slowly retrieve them with lots of pauses and twitches. Most beginners retrieve their lures far too quickly. It's almost impossible to retrieve your lure too slowly. Frequent pauses are also very necessary, as bream will often hit the lure on the pause. If you cast right up next to a snag, jiggle the lure and twitch it before starting your retrieve. You want to keep your lure in the area for as long as possible before retrieving it.

Use long leaders and go light. I mostly use 4 lb leaders in fluorocarbon that are around 3 metres in length. I will often go even lighter if I'm fishing areas where there are no snags and I will go heavier, up to 8 lb when fishing areas with lots of structure, like oyster leases.

You really need a decent rod. Something around 7 ft is just about perfect. I use good quality braid on all my reels. You can get by with a cheap reel, just so long as it works properly, but once you've used a good reel, you wont go back to a crappy one. Lure fishing is different from bait fishing in that you're constantly using your gear for casting and retrieving. It's all about the feel.

bilby

Post by bilby » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 am

I've never seen an oyster lease where I fish for bream in Victoria. Where would you find one in bream estuary this state?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 am

Windknot wrote:My favourite bream lures are - Daiwa Double Clutch 60mm SP , OSP Bent Minnow 76mm, Jackall Colt Minnow 65mm SP, Cranka Crank shallow, Zipbaits Khamsin Tiny shallow and deep and Jackall Chubby Minnow 35mm in both shallow and deep.

I pretty much work all my bibbed lures in the same way. I cast them to likely looking places and I very slowly retrieve them with lots of pauses and twitches. Most beginners retrieve their lures far too quickly. It's almost impossible to retrieve your lure too slowly. Frequent pauses are also very necessary, as bream will often hit the lure on the pause. If you cast right up next to a snag, jiggle the lure and twitch it before starting your retrieve. You want to keep your lure in the area for as long as possible before retrieving it.

Use long leaders and go light. I mostly use 4 lb leaders in fluorocarbon that are around 3 metres in length. I will often go even lighter if I'm fishing areas where there are no snags and I will go heavier, up to 8 lb when fishing areas with lots of structure, like oyster leases.

You really need a decent rod. Something around 7 ft is just about perfect. I use good quality braid on all my reels. You can get by with a cheap reel, just so long as it works properly, but once you've used a good reel, you wont go back to a crappy one. Lure fishing is different from bait fishing in that you're constantly using your gear for casting and retrieving. It's all about the feel.
Thats a great starting point .
i can only add atomic bream shads / cranks, cranka minnows/cranks/crabs and also the hurricane twitch 50s and new cranks work very well.
the ever so popular z-man grubz and swim slimz in motoroil.
ecogear and strikepro vibes/blades are also great on bream.

i also use long leaders, about 4 arms length worth, leader size depends on where im fishing, but generally i use 4lb.

rods and reels are personal choice, i believe you have to be comfortable to use them as a starting point.
i have technique specific rods that have come into its own on some days (like the last trip) without the rod i was using i wouldnt have landed as many fish due to the way the rod was working for me. proof is in the pudding as my mate next to me was getting snagged or just not getting hits as i was a fish a cast.

bream fishing on lures is an art, you just cant go out there and catch consistently on lures, some days they will climb all over lures and anyone can catch them, most other times they will test your patience and will power..

having the right colour lures also is important, pays to have several colours of one particular type of lure. (not easy for beginners)
proof again is in the pudding, last outing i had about 7 colours of the crank i was using, they wanted 3 out of those 7, my mate had none of those colours (ofcourse i lend him my spare ones, and ofcourse he lost them)
they only wanted cranks, and only those 3 colours everything else got ignored or half hearted responses.

working out what colours they want, and what style of lure they want is the hard part, thats ofcourse after you find the damn fish. which can be a pita in itself.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 am

bilby wrote:I've never seen an oyster lease where I fish for bream in Victoria. Where would you find one in bream estuary this state?
i can only think of mallacoota , bit futher down at merimbula theres heaps

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Windknot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am

purple5ive wrote:
bilby wrote:I've never seen an oyster lease where I fish for bream in Victoria. Where would you find one in bream estuary this state?
i can only think of mallacoota , bit futher down at merimbula theres heaps
To my knowledge, there aren't any oyster leases in Victoria. I often fish just over the border in NSW, where they're common though and when I do fish on leases, I like to go with a heavier leader because I need to literally drag the fish out. I just used this as a not so great example of the sort of conditions where you may need to go with a heavier leader. The situation could equally apply when fishing a fallen tree where the bream are deep in amongst the branches.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:25 pm

There is lots of info around on lures, techniques, timing etc. Purple is an ecylcopedia on the bream :a_goodjob:
Have a read of this: Indepth Angler - 10 best hardbody lures for bream
you will also find some lures work differently depending on depth, time of day and waterway. whatever way you start out, it'll become a hobby just collecting the lures! :rofl:
quid est quod eum

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 pm

ratbag wrote:There is lots of info around on lures, techniques, timing etc. Purple is an ecylcopedia on the bream :a_goodjob:
you will also find some lures work differently depending on depth, time of day and waterway. whatever way you start out, it'll become a hobby just collecting the lures! :rofl:
Perfect, If I only had 10 lures to fish for bream with, I would want those 10 :thumbsup:

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 pm

ratbag wrote:There is lots of info around on lures, techniques, timing etc. Purple is an ecylcopedia on the bream :a_goodjob:
hah i wouldnt go that far to say encyclopedia, whatever i have learnt has come from trolling the net for hours, asking a lot of questions online and in person,and fishing with some great people who actually had the patience to show a few things to newbies. plus time on the water.
but i am flattered thanks :P

i was looking for that link from indepth angler and couldnt find it, thats also a great link and covers some lures that have already been mentioned here.
4 out of those mentioned lures i dont even have, once you work out whats comfortable and what works for you then focus on those lures mainly, but always have a backup few that never gets thrown because one day they will produce.

ps - just to throw the spanner in the works, one of the most famous bream lures is the jackall chubby crank / minnow, but on my last outing the fish ignored it completely and went for a different brand but with a similar colour and profile, i got no idea why, but thats bream fishing for you..

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Plenty of good info.

Have done plenty of lure fishing but not a lot for bream for zero success.

How often do you change lures with this type of fishing?

Return to “Bream Fishing”