Bream Lures for Dummies.

Everything about bream
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Bream Lures for Dummies.

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:41 am

rb85 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Plenty of good info.

Have done plenty of lure fishing but not a lot for bream for zero success.

How often do you change lures with this type of fishing?
keep at it, they arent any different to the perch and bass you catch. change lures as you would when fishing for them.
i would give a lure 20 mins before changing, but generally with bream there are certain ones that work for certain waterways, so key is to know that, where do you fish for them generally

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 am

in my experience perch and bass decide a lot faster if they want to eat an offering or not (most likely eat first ask questions later), are a lot less leader shy, will actually eat bigger lures, and are somewhat less retrieval technique sensitive. The challenges are different

Bream are tough work for me, I don't do well in metro systems so i won't offer too much advice. A couple of things i'd say is slow it down, and be sneaky

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:23 am

Basti wrote:in my experience perch and bass decide a lot faster if they want to eat an offering or not (most likely eat first ask questions later), are a lot less leader shy, will actually eat bigger lures, and are somewhat less retrieval technique sensitive. The challenges are different

Bream are tough work for me, I don't do well in metro systems so i won't offer too much advice. A couple of things i'd say is slow it down, and be sneaky
with my limited perch and even more limited bass captures, id say yes they do eat first then cry later. so possibly easier to catch i guess.
metro bream are hard work for a lot of guys :-D
and funny everyone says that, but in real life and tournament scenes what i have witnessed is exactly the opposite, lure was being retrieved quite a lot faster than what i actually imagined, not sure if they have some tricks up their sleeves or what, but i was quite surprised to see it.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:33 am

purple5ive wrote:

keep at it, they arent any different to the perch and bass you catch. change lures as you would when fishing for them.
i would give a lure 20 mins before changing, but generally with bream there are certain ones that work for certain waterways, so key is to know that, where do you fish for them generally
Found perch and bass not to bad to catch. Bream have only tried the occasional time the areas ill try and fish are around Sth West Gippsland in conditions that aren't suitable for fishing from my boat.

Cheers

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 am

rb85 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

Found perch and bass not to bad to catch. Bream have only tried the occasional time the areas ill try and fish are around Sth West Gippsland in conditions that aren't suitable for fishing from my boat.

Cheers
i havent fished down that way much, but any particular systems your fishing?
like for eg gippy lakes go well on hurricane twitch 50 lures, and similar profile lures like double clutches, cranka minnows etc. so maybe ask someone who fishes there regularly what they do well on and try and replicate that, that would be my best suggestion, but others might have a different approach.
cheers

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:23 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Basti wrote:in my experience perch and bass decide a lot faster if they want to eat an offering or not (most likely eat first ask questions later), are a lot less leader shy, will actually eat bigger lures, and are somewhat less retrieval technique sensitive. The challenges are different

with my limited perch and even more limited bass captures, id say yes they do eat first then cry later. so possibly easier to catch i guess.
metro bream are hard work for a lot of guys :-D
and funny everyone says that, but in real life and tournament scenes what i have witnessed is exactly the opposite, lure was being retrieved quite a lot faster than what i actually imagined, not sure if they have some tricks up their sleeves or what, but i was quite surprised to see it.
Easier to hook definitely, from there it's a different fight. I wouldn't target perch/bass on 1-3kg gear unless i was on a yak or boat. Tournament fishing would be more about finding active fish fast than working one spot for ages on shut down fish. Might explain the quicker retrieves. Bream out gippy way are also a little less spooky. I had a 20cm fish slam a 77mm duo intended for flatties and worked aggressively at tyres. I was more meaning educated metro bream needing subtlety and finesse to fool.

that being said, if i wanted a battle of wits with a fish, i'd much rather chase carp. I reckon they're much harder to fool than bream and better fun. we digress though

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Yeah different fight agreed.
Youd be suprised what happens at tournaments. Some guys stay in one spot both days. Others are all over the place. Its all a mix hence why i love going and participating just to watch how things are done. Anway
Back to the topic.

Get some good lures and give it a good go. Twitch pause retrieves work best on them. Sometimes the good old slow roll is all it takes. Got to try a few different lures and techniques to work out what they want on the day. Helps if you have company cause the other guy can try other lures and techniques and eventually will find a pattern that works. Then both replicate it

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Funnily enough I use a 1-3kg spin stick for Bass land based not a necessity but I like it and can handle the fish although been smoked by a few stonkers.
Might go back to my experience as a kid catching big carp on light tackle who knows.

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 pm

rb85 wrote:So we have a few avid bream fishos here I haven't done any serious lure fishing for these fish. So was wondering what lures would you guys recommend and how do you work them for a bream fisho novice?

My first Question would be where do you plan to fish and around what time of year.
These will dictate what is best for you so you get the most bang for your bucks!!!
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 pm

IFISHALOT wrote:
rb85 wrote:So we have a few avid bream fishos here I haven't done any serious lure fishing for these fish. So was wondering what lures would you guys recommend and how do you work them for a bream fisho novice?

My first Question would be where do you plan to fish and around what time of year.
These will dictate what is best for you so you get the most bang for your bucks!!!
Don't have an exact answer but will be estuaries between Port Albert and Tooradin

Return to “Bream Fishing”