selling undersized bream in the fish market - to stop or not

Everything about bream
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

selling undersized bream in the fish market - to stop or not

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 pm

My wife once came home from a fish market with 2 undersized bream (less than 28cm). I reported the issue to DPI. I gave the names and locations of the fish monger. A week later, I received a call from DPI. They checked on the fish monger and confirmed to me that they were selling small bream. However I was told they cannot do anything about it as according to the seller the fish came from QLD. In QLD, the legal size for bream is way smaller than VIC. I am not sure if DPI verified that claim but they closed the book.

I believe the government should not allow selling inter-state fish in Victorian markets if the fish does not meet local regulations. It's like "hey I am from X country in Europe and I can smoke weed when I want to so I can bring my weed here and smoke them with gusto". What are your thoughts on this?
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: selling undersized bream in the fish market - to stop or

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 pm

Some species the commercial size limits are different to the rec size limits.

Remember the commercial guys have less choice over what is drag up in there nets.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Agreed, if the fish is to be sold in a certain State, then it should be above the minimum legal length for that state.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 pm

the selling of interstate fish should probally stop because if a disease hits QLD it would travel to vic much quicker and hit the fish population down here aswell.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:51 pm

mazman wrote:the selling of interstate fish should probally stop because if a disease hits QLD it would travel to vic much quicker and hit the fish population down here aswell.
:doh1: off topic again! :doh1:

The question is about selling inter-stare fish that does not meet local regulations. It's not about fish with migraine, PMS or headache! :crazy:
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:02 pm

frozenpod wrote:Some species the commercial size limits are different to the rec size limits.

Remember the commercial guys have less choice over what is drag up in there nets.
To be fair to local fishos and to set an example, the govt should not allow the sale of INTER-STATE fish that does not meet our local regulations. Simple as that. If QLD commercial fishos end up with too many small bream, too bad for them. Release them or sell them in QLD. Dont dump them in VIC. :bat: :angry:

A couple of years back, the bream minimum size in Melbourne area was 26cm. In Gippsland, it was 28cm. To avoid confusions (and improved fishing :dontknow ) they made it 28cm across the state. Why cant the state govt apply the same principle of consistency for products sold locally no matter where they came from? :dontknow
====
Words of wisdom:
====

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:25 pm

I doubt they are dumping them on vic the vic marking is most likely wanting to buy them.

Even in vic commercial fishos have different size regulations to rec let alone other states.
Last edited by frozenpod on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:45 pm

This topic has done the rounds of various forums.
Yes indeed the commercial fishos here have different size regulations than us recreational fisho's from what a info a lot of other fisho's have given.
Fc, its actually the same at the fisho at Knox City, with undersize fish,your right about it unfairness.
But in reality when the governing body says it's ok, then there is nothing we can do about it unless we take to the streets in protest and start a revolution against the goverment.
If they are alowed to catch and sell them that size well its wrong but bugger all we can do as you just found out, sorry to say.

Thanks for trying FC,

cheers
TN

fish99

Post by fish99 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 pm

why would you buy undersize fish,you are only supporting the fishmongers that sell them.no brainer really.

Linc

Post by Linc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 pm

If Queensland's gov't allows the killing of smaller fish than ours does then I don't see the problem in them selling them to vic markets, the less fish from Victorian waters that get taken by commercial fishos the better in my mind, it leaves more for us. QLD fishoes have the pick of the litter, bream are not appreciated as much as they are down here.

Return to “Bream Fishing”