selling undersized bream in the fish market - to stop or not

Everything about bream
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: selling undersized bream in the fish market - to stop or

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:54 pm

fish99 wrote:why would you buy undersize fish,you are only supporting the fishmongers that sell them.no brainer really.
:doh1: :doh1: :doh1: :doh1: and your point is?
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Some people like smaller fish. :dontknow :lol:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:18 pm

I don’t mind buying a smaller size (than what allowed for recreational fishing) from the market if this fish is imported from somewhere else but not our waters.
Certainly, when it comes to commercial fishing and selling, there will be different regulations, and boosting the market and helping the economy will take more priority than meeting some local regulations.
While I‘m saying this, I‘m not sure why the legal size in QLD is smaller than here, and I wish to find more in this.

Martyjohnson

Post by Martyjohnson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:16 pm

because black bream may, be the same species per say, but different populations have different factors for example colder water bream will gorw slower, there may be less food in some waters which means bream will gorw to a smaller size, the size of rivers often has an effect on the size of bream, smaller rivers usually grow smaller bream. this is the same for all fish species, QLD will have done their research and decided that the size of there bream are naturally smaller, doesnt mean its not sustianable.
there is heaps of research out there which supports why some species grow larger then others from the same species, all you have to do is look at barramundi in the NT and the different size limits in each estuary. In my opinion most estuaries should have the same kinda research put into them, except this is costly and to many recos would be confused.

cheers marty

Return to “Bream Fishing”