Bream fishing regulations - are they good enough?

Everything about bream
Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Bream fishing regulations - are they good enough?

Post by Windknot » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 pm

What do you think? Are 10 bream per person, per trip, too many or not? What about size limits? Currently they must be larger than 28 cm. Do you think that's too small? What about a slot limit? Do we need a slot limit, meaning you can only keep bream between say, 30cm to 39cm? Are our larger, say, 40+cm bream worth releasing to breed? Are bream a species than needs greater protection or not, after all It's not that uncommon for whole estuaries to get wiped out during fish kills, yet they seem to rebound okay eventually, most of the time. Is it simply too much fun to catch a 40cm+ bream just the once and then kill it?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Bream fishing regulations - are they good enough?

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:40 pm

I have been fishing for bream in the gippsland lakes for 25 years. I used to spend 1-2 weeks fishing the gippsland lakes for bream every year. For the last few years I have only managed a couple of weekends trips.

Whilst some years were better than others bream fishing seems to me to be pretty much the same.

Most days I would catch a decent feed.

Based on this I don't see any need to change the bag limit or the minimum size limit.

I can see value in an upper size limit ie 40cm if the bulk of the breading is done by 40cm+ fish.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Bream fishing regulations - are they good enough?

Post by Texas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Many years ago (40?) Bemm River had a bream competition
It was huge and heaps of bream were caught.
It took about 4 years for the lake the rebound.
When we fished the area, over many years, we rarely bagged out as we only kept 35cm and above.
I believe in bag limits & minimum sizes.
Maximum sizes, in my opinion, are questionable

Gra

Return to “Bream Fishing”