Bream fishing at Tambo and Mitchell

Everything about bream
Hunter1982

Bream fishing at Tambo and Mitchell

Post by Hunter1982 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to fishing and I heard that Tambo and Mitchell river has some good bream around this time. I wonder is there any locals here who is able to show me a few tricks to catch some? Would like to know the fishing technique, where and how to find them. Any association with the weather and tides etc...I only do land based. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Bream fishing at Tambo and Mitchell

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Hunter1982 wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to fishing and I heard that Tambo and Mitchell river has some good bream around this time. I wonder is there any locals here who is able to show me a few tricks to catch some? Would like to know the fishing technique, where and how to find them. Any association with the weather and tides etc...I only do land based. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Go to the local bait shop get some prawns and sand worm ask for where they are biting etc and you will be put on the right path.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:22 pm

There was a good episode on this exact thing on fishing edge. Google search should bring up atleast a trailer of the ep

Hunter1982

Post by Hunter1982 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 pm

cobby wrote:There was a good episode on this exact thing on fishing edge. Google search should bring up atleast a trailer of the ep
Thanks for the webpage, any idea roughly when they air it?

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Hunter, you won,t find a better river for land based fishing than the Tambo.
You can drive alongside the river,setup your folding chair,plant the rods and watch the river go by with a cold one.
It,s a beautiful place to fish and there will be trial and error but a bite is pretty certain and enjoyment absolutely certain.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Hunter1982 wrote:
cobby wrote:There was a good episode on this exact thing on fishing edge. Google search should bring up atleast a trailer of the ep
Thanks for the webpage, any idea roughly when they air it?
It's been aired atleast twice that I've seen. Put fishing edge tambo river into Google and it should pop up

georgek

Post by georgek » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Hunter1982 wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to fishing and I heard that Tambo and Mitchell river has some good bream around this time. I wonder is there any locals here who is able to show me a few tricks to catch some? Would like to know the fishing technique, where and how to find them. Any association with the weather and tides etc...I only do land based. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

this time of the year i prefer to fish from the highway up in the tambo. In the mitchell you can fish anywhere from the highway bridge/butter factory all the way to the silt jetties which is towards the mouth. I like the grassy stretch in the middle a few km down from the highway bridge.

My choice would be tambo though, always done well there fishing in winter above the highway bridge right up and past the cliffs. Dont over think it if you are landbased, just a matter of trying a few spots and locating a few. Early mornings and evenings the best, if you cant find sandworm try crab or cured sandworm. Failing both of those shrimp and prawn.

With both rivers its just a matter of finding an opening you can fish (and finding someone you can park safely).

Used to just use a basic running sinker rig, nice simple fishing.

Hunter1982

Post by Hunter1982 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:08 am

georgek wrote:

this time of the year i prefer to fish from the highway up in the tambo. In the mitchell you can fish anywhere from the highway bridge/butter factory all the way to the silt jetties which is towards the mouth. I like the grassy stretch in the middle a few km down from the highway bridge.

My choice would be tambo though, always done well there fishing in winter above the highway bridge right up and past the cliffs. Dont over think it if you are landbased, just a matter of trying a few spots and locating a few. Early mornings and evenings the best, if you cant find sandworm try crab or cured sandworm. Failing both of those shrimp and prawn.

With both rivers its just a matter of finding an opening you can fish (and finding someone you can park safely).

Used to just use a basic running sinker rig, nice simple fishing.
Thank you for the advices. Where could I buy the baits like sandworms and crab? Or where can I catch those baits?

Is the Tambo location "highway bridge right up and past the cliffs" is located past Tambo Upper Primary School?

Thanks.

georgek

Post by georgek » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 am

Nah mate, literally from the princes hwy bridge up. Don't need to go past Bumberrah, just pick a spot along the tambo upper road.

We used to always get our baits from 172 Macleod Street, bairnsdale. Its a house and you walk down the driveway around the back. There is usually a sign on the naturestrip saying BAIT.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Theres also a shop opposite a BP just past Bairnsdale that usually sells sandworms and crabs. The crabs will get you the bigger models but less bites. If you just want to catch a fish then banana prawns from woolies go ok too, cut into small bits

Return to “Bream Fishing”